TroubleFreePat

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 5, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
See lots of good comments on the Wall Whale - definitely think that's the direction to go. Then I saw the wall whale XL? Some people are saying it's really difficult to use on the bottom no matter how they adjust the fin and/or angle.

Any thoughts? Anyone moved from the plain Wall Whale to the XL and been happy or wished to go back?

Depends on how quickly you want to make your arms ripped ;)

I can only imagine that the XL is pretty hard to push ... I have the original and do not have the fin all the way up.

Jason -

Looking online, I'm seeing the "original" with the larger tail (Also seen on the XL) and a smaller tail. Which one do you have? I'm thinking it's not the size of the brush with the XL that's the issue, but maybe the larger fin?

WallWhale.JPG

Hello all, this is Greg, the inventor of the Wall Whale. A few comments which may clear some confusion. The tail we use is the same on all Wall Whales - 18", XL, 24" and 36".

All of the versions of the Wall Whale can be hard to push on the floor because you have gravity and the tail working to your advantage. I found my natural way of brushing the floor was to hold the pole javelin style over my shoulder and it is hard to push. When held at waist level it is much easier to push. Also, the tail still exerts force even if the adjustor bracket is removed and this can make it even easier to use on the floors.

I appreciate all the comments, good and bad. Feel free to call or write if you ever have questions.

First time on this forum so apologies in advance if this is a breach of protocol but here's my info.
gblackwell @ wallwhale.com
817-266-7447

Greg

Greg,

Thanks, I appreciate the info. I assume the tail was redesigned at some point? As you can see in my photos above, I've definitely seen two different types of tails.

ANYWAY, I just picked up the XL today, as that's all the local store had. Figured I'd try it from a local place, JUST in case. I'll be sure to stop back and post my results.

The tail is the same as far as size and overall geometry. For the the XL we have removed the two highest settings for the adjustor as these setting put the tail past 45 degrees and creates drag instead of downward pressure.

Greg

TroubleFreePat said:
See lots of good comments on the Wall Whale - definitely think that's the direction to go. Then I saw the wall whale XL? Some people are saying it's really difficult to use on the bottom no matter how they adjust the fin and/or angle.

Any thoughts? Anyone moved from the plain Wall Whale to the XL and been happy or wished to go back?
i looked up reviews on Amazon (to see what the product was) and found an owner comment about the differences as follows

"I have both size wall whales, this one is great, the XL is a cheap plastic piece of junk at pool pole fitting and brush attachment."

another reviewer commented on how the regular version gets into corners better than the XL

*edit*
i didn't read low enough to see you already bought it.. so you can clarify on the things i mentioned if they really are a problem.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Greg,

Thanks, I appreciate the info. I assume the tail was redesigned at some point? As you can see in my photos above, I've definitely seen two different types of tails.

ANYWAY, I just picked up the XL today, as that's all the local store had. Figured I'd try it from a local place, JUST in case. I'll be sure to stop back and post my results.

I did not see the follow-up post on the XL. As this is a 2 year old thread, maybe we'll get "long-term test" review?

A bit late, but I wanted to weigh in.

I had the original Wall Whale and liked it. As it seemed like a 1st generation product, it was a standard brush with the tail screwed down into it. I loved it, but eventually the plastic part of the brush all came apart and it was gone -- probably lasted 2 years.

Then I say the XL and it seemed to have these problem addressed as it was all one assembly and had no "bolt on fin" but rather it was all integrated. I've had the now for almost 4 years and it is just now starting to show signed of giving up (I do not expect these to last forever -- this has lasted just fine). The plastic part that inserts into the pole is showing fatigue (white) marks as there is quite a bit of bending forces exerted in this area when used.

As Greg stated above, when brushing the bottom, just swing the pole to as low an angle as possible and it works a lot better. It's not gravity that is hurting you, but rather that you are pushing at quite an angle to the floor (instead of relatively parallel to the wall when you are brushing the walls). There is a tough part just at the bottom of the wall where you are pushing down (cannot swing pole down as the wall is in the wall) but trying to make it move horizontally.

Nothing is perfect, but I love the XL and would highly recommend it.

If I could make any recommendations to Greg, it would be to wrap the brush bristles up and around the ends a bit so that when brushing around steps, etc it would brush up in the corners.

Steve

I have the Original WW too (going on 2+ years now). From the looks of it, it seems the parent company decided to revamp the design to make the brush non-serviceable rather than make spare brushes and parts available. Sad. They could have made money selling "Wall Whale Certified" OEM replacement parts at a little bit of a markup over generic parts and kept a loyal customer base....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.