Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need something better

1. Back To Top    #1

Pensacola, Florida

Need something better

We have just a basic box pool, albeit one of the larger ones. The skimmer basket setup all needs to be replaced. Florida sun has taken it's toll. I'm thinking an upgrade would be better than a replacement. I don't want to spend a whole whole lot, just because, again, it is a box pool (2nd season this summer).

Any suggestions?

Should we go to sand filter? I've heard cartridge are better than sand. When looking at specs, if it says the pump is for 1000 gallons, is that how much it's filtering per minute or something? Is there a good ratio to look at? Our pool is 10,000 gallons, estimate.
    12,000 (fill water with well water)
    Cartridge filter
    AG 22'x52" Intek Ultra Frame

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Need something better

The pump ratings you are looking at are the gallons per hour ... best case. If you search around the site you will find a lot of people like the larger 2650 pump with sand filter option over the very underpowered pump you have no coupled with the cartridge filter. There are been cartridges from Unicel that would help with filtration with our current setup, but your pump is still rather lacking.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!