Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pool school swcg question

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

pool school swcg question

Hello All,

I just read the guidelines on poolschool for swcgs and was interested to see the recommended TA figures at 60 to 80ppm. This appears to be a little lower than normally recommended for non-swcg pools. Can somebody please explain the reason for this?

I have experience looking after a few swcg pools but wasnt aware of the need for such a low TA.

Thanks in advance

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pool school swcg question

Sure.

A SWG inherently drives the pH up due to conditions within the cell. By lowering the TA, this should help to stabilize the pH so it will not rise as quickly.

One could easily make the same argument for pools with spillovers or water features that are run a lot.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I was curious about that, too, thanks for the info.

Now a related question. What happens if the TA gets below that range? I am always having to add acid to lower my pH and my TA is now within range. I expect that it will be low at some point due to always adding acid. What's the concern with a low TA?
    Bryan
    My Pool Build
    IG 16,148 gal (pool+spa), Mediterranean Pebble Plus, Noce Travertine Coping and Deck, Hayward ProLogic 8 with AquaPod, Hayward EcoStar VS Pump, Hayward 60 sqft DE filter, Hayward T15 SWCG, Paramount Clear O3 Ozone, Hayward 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Sure.

A SWG inherently drives the pH up due to conditions within the cell. By lowering the TA, this should help to stabilize the pH so it will not rise as quickly.

One could easily make the same argument for pools with spillovers or water features that are run a lot.
    Thanks for the reply. I checked a salt water pool today and the readings were 95 TA and 7.5pH. Normally I wouldnt add acid yet, but would the experts on here be lowering the TA with those readings?

5. Back To Top    #5

bacevedo, please ask questions in your own topic.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Ideally you would want the TA a little lower if you are seeing a pH rise. It does not make a huge difference if you lower the pH now or wait for it to rise some more.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Ideally you would want the TA a little lower if you are seeing a pH rise. It does not make a huge difference if you lower the pH now or wait for it to rise some more.
    OK think I understand. I dont have a particular problem with pH rise, although as you said it always rises with a swcg. However, if I was to lower the TA to 80 it would slow down the process of increasing pH and presumably lessen the quantity of acid I use?

Many thanks for your replies jblizzle. If you were closer Id buy you a beer

8. Back To Top    #8

I'd go more, down to the 60-70 range. (actually, I did, but I recommend the same for you )
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH
    I'd go more, down to the 60-70 range. (actually, I did, but I recommend the same for you )
    If I find a calcium problem on a pool surface I usually decrease TA to just below 50ppm to clear the build up of calcium, then increase TA again once its disappeared.

Im not disbelieving you people, and I understand that swcg pool chemistry is different, but the 60 figure sounds awfully close to the 50 Ive always used to clear calcium. I always understood that if you leave TA below 50 that eventually youd lose the grouting between the tiles.

I guess you are recommending 60 though and not 50 but ʹll have to do my calculations correctly to make sure I dont overdo the acid

10. Back To Top    #10

You can go to 70 and see what that does for you first.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

You can go to 70 and see what that does for you first.
    will do robbie. ps what does built in 1957 refer to?

12. Back To Top    #12

The year my pool was built.

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

The year my pool was built.
    wow, that must have been built well! guess you need a pool over there with this heatwave youre experiencing.

14. Back To Top    #14

It's a cool wave this week. But that'll change again next week, back to triple digits.

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

It's a cool wave this week. But that'll change again next week, back to triple digits.

thats in great condition. you certainly build well on your side of the pond!

our gunite pool which is 10 years old sunk by half an inch last year. luckily it hasnt cracked, yet.

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by costablanca blue
    If I find a calcium problem on a pool surface I usually decrease TA to just below 50ppm to clear the build up of calcium, then increase TA again once its disappeared.

Im not disbelieving you people, and I understand that swcg pool chemistry is different, but the 60 figure sounds awfully close to the 50 Ive always used to clear calcium. I always understood that if you leave TA below 50 that eventually youd lose the grouting between the tiles.

I guess you are recommending 60 though and not 50 but ʹll have to do my calculations correctly to make sure I dont overdo the acid
    You have to keep the other parameters in mind ... specifically the CSI. So if you maintain a lower TA, you may need to increase the CH some or just keep the pH a little higher so the CSI does not get too negative which could eventually cause the grout problems you mention.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by costablanca blue

You have to keep the other parameters in mind ... specifically the CSI. So if you maintain a lower TA, you may need to increase the CH some or just keep the pH a little higher so the CSI does not get too negative which could eventually cause the grout problems you mention.
    understood thanks jblizzle. just noticed your tag - very sad about those poor firemen in your part of the world. those wild fires sounded horrendous.

18. Back To Top    #18

You know, I had not even realized there were fires going on when I heard about the firemen ... still have not really heard what happened. I guess I do not pay enough attention to the news.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

19. Back To Top    #19

Am I reading this correct and you are saying that my water feature affects my TA and PH in a negative way? I have my water features on all the time and I am fighting PH and TA levels a bunch.
    15K gal gunite, Jandy Aqualink RS, Aquapure 1400 SWG, Jandy main filter pump, Century Pool & Spa 3.0hp cleaner boost pump, Polaris 360 Vac-Sweep, Jandy Large Cartridge Filter. K-2006 Test Kit

20. Back To Top    #20

Water features that aerate the water will make the pH rise. By keeping the TA lower, 60-80 range, it will help to keep the pH from rising as fast.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast