CYA has been consistently low

Jun 16, 2013
Hi I've been adding CYA (up to 5lbs now) and still can't seem to get it to register even at the 20 level. I'm using solid CYA in a sock in the skimmer. I put this in over a week ago...still nothing. Any other ideas?

How big is your pool? Can you update your signature and location please. It would help us out a lot! Thanks! :cool:

Please add your pool details and location as described HERE to your signature as it will help us help you.

We would need to know the pool size to even start to offer ideas.
Where did you buy the CYA? What is the strength listed on the bottle?

Have you guys been getting a lot of rain? That could be why you aren't seeing an increase.

I think that that is your problem especially if you have been draining the excess off the pool.

In a 25k pool, 5 pounds would have only added 24ppm of CYA ... plus given the rain ... I am not too surprised you are reading less than 20ppm.

Add another 2-3 pounds to get you up around 30ppm at least.

Be prepared to lose some of that because the rain isn't suppose to let up for another week! :shock:

It's HORRIBLE!!! :rant: (That's my rant of the day!) :mrgreen:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
techguy said:
Would it be a good idea to aim for a 40CYA to allow for some rain dilution?

Wouldn't hurt.

Also, just to be sure. One's CYA can also start disappearing if you have a leak. Folks who use autofills and are noticing a trending downward in their CYA can also suspect a leak. The only way to lose CYA aside from a loss over the winter in a closed pool is for it to be splashed out or emptied from the pool either through a leak or down the drain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.