Filter o-ring leaks, every time now.

Hawk

Aug 9, 2011
Southern California
I have a Pentair SMBW2060 DE filter that is approximately 17 years old. The problem I am having is that the o-ring no longer seals and it leaks constantly.
It used to be that I could barely get the cover down on to the filter body, the o-ring was so tight. After a few years, I found the o-ring started leaking so I purchased a new one. No issues, lubed, installed, and everything was back to normal. Then a few years later I found it was time to again purchase a new o-ring and once lubed/installed it leaked. Called the pool store to see if they gave me an aftermarket or wrong unit, they said no. I purchased another new one and again, had the same leak. Took both back to the pool store and asked what was up. They said that maybe the o-rings were out of spec and to wrap a couple turns of electrical tape around the filter prior to installing. I tried that and found it worked! Ran that setup for a few years and have now started a leak again.
Having purchased a new o-ring, I now find myself wondering if I can purchase an over sized o-ring to get away from wrapping the stainless steel tanks channel with electrical tape. Without the electrical tape, the lid is sloppy loose and nearly drops into place with a little pressure.

Is it possible that the lid has stretched in such a way as to not seal any longer? Maybe the proper approach is to get a new lid and not be concerned with an over sized o-ring?
Thoughts?

Your filter is quite old and the pool store is selling you a generic replacement. I would do some research online. You may find a source for a replacement O-ring that is closer to the original spec.and won't leak. It will also probably be cheaper than your local pool store.

I had thought that I might be buying an inferior product so I specifically sourced a Pentair red line unit. One never knows what is being given though.

Any info on where I can get the specific specs for the Pentair 071442 o-ring? I do have a local o-ring shop nearby and can see if they have something with the same specs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.