Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filter o-ring leaks, every time now.

1. Back To Top    #1

Filter o-ring leaks, every time now.

I have a Pentair SMBW2060 DE filter that is approximately 17 years old. The problem I am having is that the o-ring no longer seals and it leaks constantly.
    It used to be that I could barely get the cover down on to the filter body, the o-ring was so tight. After a few years, I found the o-ring started leaking so I purchased a new one. No issues, lubed, installed, and everything was back to normal. Then a few years later I found it was time to again purchase a new o-ring and once lubed/installed it leaked. Called the pool store to see if they gave me an aftermarket or wrong unit, they said no. I purchased another new one and again, had the same leak. Took both back to the pool store and asked what was up. They said that maybe the o-rings were out of spec and to wrap a couple turns of electrical tape around the filter prior to installing. I tried that and found it worked! Ran that setup for a few years and have now started a leak again.
    Having purchased a new o-ring, I now find myself wondering if I can purchase an over sized o-ring to get away from wrapping the stainless steel tanks channel with electrical tape. Without the electrical tape, the lid is sloppy loose and nearly drops into place with a little pressure.

Is it possible that the lid has stretched in such a way as to not seal any longer? Maybe the proper approach is to get a new lid and not be concerned with an over sized o-ring?
    Thoughts?

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Filter o-ring leaks, every time now.

Your filter is quite old and the pool store is selling you a generic replacement. I would do some research online. You may find a source for a replacement O-ring that is closer to the original spec.and won't leak. It will also probably be cheaper than your local pool store.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Filter o-ring leaks, every time now.

I had thought that I might be buying an inferior product so I specifically sourced a Pentair red line unit. One never knows what is being given though.

Any info on where I can get the specific specs for the Pentair 071442 o-ring? I do have a local o-ring shop nearby and can see if they have something with the same specs.