So we're still new to the pool scene and still working on getting the water just right. Part of the problem is, we're in PA and have gotten about 10" of rain in the past month (And more on the way), so some of the work I'm doing is being undone as I have to drain a few inches of the pool here and there.
Anyway, here are my current numbers. I will preface this - I purchased a ColorQ. I know many do not like this, but I have a hard time interpreting the colors of the tests. The ColorQ has been CONSISTENT in that I've never had an "odd" reading. I would take my water to Leslie's, but sounds like this is useless as well. The pool store I bought my CYA from just had test strips (Surprised me a little), so I figured that was also a waste, but did bring a sample of water in to test after 2 pounds of CYA and they said 30, while the ColorQ said 20. YMMV apparently.
FC: 2.35 (This is a little low because I had turned down my SWG after adding CYA and letting the pump run for 36 hours - normally in the 4-5 range.)
Once I got the hang of the SWG and pump times, I had a good FC number (Again, been able to keep it around 4 consistently.) Then I started going after the CYA. I've now added 3lbs to get me to 30. Again, part of the issue is that I've had to drain the pool here and there with the rain, so. . . I just added the last pound I had and will re-check this in a few more days. Looks like I'll be heading to the pool store for more though.
My thought at this point is to get the CH up. But I also didn't want to be changing too many variables at once. I also have boric acid on order, but figure I'll do that absolutely last. So should I be concentrating on ONLY CYA at this time, or can I also start adding some calcium chloride?
I've read a few threads stating that calcium chloride can make the pool cloudy for a few days. If that's the case, I want to wait until after the 4th as we're having everyone over (IF it stops raining long enough.) Also seems everyone has an opinon on adding the CC right to the water versus dissolving in a bucket first.
Last question - I'm showing 2.35 for FC and 2.57 for TCL - this is the largest gap I've seen between them since I started testing. I'm normally around .05-.1 for what I assume we would call CC. Is this an issue or sign that something is starting to brew already?
Am I on the right path so far? Water looks fantastic! I imagine the boric acid won't make it look pretty, but will help keep the pH stable, so. . .