SWG air bubble when variable speed pump in use

Jun 18, 2013
Kennesaw, Ga
I installed my salt water generator and now have an issue where a bubble starts to form in the cell if my Max-flo VS pump is running below 2k rpm. The bubble will get increasingly larger over time (about 30 minutes) until the generator shuts down and throws a water fault light. Is this a common problem with salt generators or have I installed something incorrectly?

Thanks

I will post a picture this afternoon when I get home from work. I believe the cell set-up would be fine if I were not trying to utilize lower speeds but because of the way I have mounted the unit I don't think the flow is enough to push the bubbles out. You will see what I am talking about when I post the pics. I kinda wanted to kick myself after installing it the way I did but I did not know it would produce so much gas that it would get stuck. I will have the pictures up in about 2 hours. Thanks for the quick replies!!

This problem has been reported by several pool owners. The cell design with the ports on the bottom are more inclined to accumulate gas at lower flow rates than the axial designs. Unfortunately, the only way to avoid it is to run at higher flow rates.

@mas985, They have apparently changed the cell design due to problems with the variable speed pumps and two speed pumps. I personally like the new design but didn't realize why they changed designs until now. I am convinced after watching the bubble form that if I move the cell down to the lower pipe between the manifold I created and the diverter valve all my problems will be solved. What do you guys think? Pictures will follow.

The height of the cell doesn't matter. There is a critical flow rate through the cell which will purge the gas (i.e. push the gas downward) so if you are bypassing water, you might try closing the bypass.

I cant seem to upload the pics. Keeps telling me the file is invalid. Arghhh!! I know the height should not matter. The new cell design will allow you to mount it in such a way that the water will now flow straight through instead of going up into the cell and then going back down.

A picture is worth a thousand words if I can get it to upload. I am under the 256k limit but it still tells me the file is invalid.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So you will be plumbing in the horizontal port instead of the vertical port that is connected now? Just make sure there is some straight section of pipe after the cell. Gas can still collect in other areas of the plumbing, you just don't want it to turn off the cell.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.