Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG air bubble when variable speed pump in use

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG air bubble when variable speed pump in use

I installed my salt water generator and now have an issue where a bubble starts to form in the cell if my Max-flo VS pump is running below 2k rpm. The bubble will get increasingly larger over time (about 30 minutes) until the generator shuts down and throws a water fault light. Is this a common problem with salt generators or have I installed something incorrectly?

Thanks
    Foxx Pool, Kidney, 17x29, 17.5k gallons, Findlay 30mil Liner, Hayward Max-Flo VS, GE digital timer, (2) Pentair diverter valves, Hayward Star Clear Plus 175sqft cartridge filter, Polaris 3/4hp Booster pump (back-up), Polaris 280 cleaner (back-up), Dolphin DX3 robot, CircuPool RJ45 SWCG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG air bubble when variable speed pump in use

Can you post a picture of the installation? Even at pretty low rpm it should be enough flow to keep the gas evacuated from the cell.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I get the air bubble also in my setup on low speed. It hasn't caused a fault. You may have to mount the SWCG lower.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

4. Back To Top    #4

I will post a picture this afternoon when I get home from work. I believe the cell set-up would be fine if I were not trying to utilize lower speeds but because of the way I have mounted the unit I don't think the flow is enough to push the bubbles out. You will see what I am talking about when I post the pics. I kinda wanted to kick myself after installing it the way I did but I did not know it would produce so much gas that it would get stuck. I will have the pictures up in about 2 hours. Thanks for the quick replies!!
    Foxx Pool, Kidney, 17x29, 17.5k gallons, Findlay 30mil Liner, Hayward Max-Flo VS, GE digital timer, (2) Pentair diverter valves, Hayward Star Clear Plus 175sqft cartridge filter, Polaris 3/4hp Booster pump (back-up), Polaris 280 cleaner (back-up), Dolphin DX3 robot, CircuPool RJ45 SWCG

5. Back To Top    #5

This problem has been reported by several pool owners. The cell design with the ports on the bottom are more inclined to accumulate gas at lower flow rates than the axial designs. Unfortunately, the only way to avoid it is to run at higher flow rates.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

@mas985, They have apparently changed the cell design due to problems with the variable speed pumps and two speed pumps. I personally like the new design but didn't realize why they changed designs until now. I am convinced after watching the bubble form that if I move the cell down to the lower pipe between the manifold I created and the diverter valve all my problems will be solved. What do you guys think? Pictures will follow.

7. Back To Top    #7

The height of the cell doesn't matter. There is a critical flow rate through the cell which will purge the gas (i.e. push the gas downward) so if you are bypassing water, you might try closing the bypass.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

8. Back To Top    #8

I cant seem to upload the pics. Keeps telling me the file is invalid. Arghhh!! I know the height should not matter. The new cell design will allow you to mount it in such a way that the water will now flow straight through instead of going up into the cell and then going back down.

A picture is worth a thousand words if I can get it to upload. I am under the 256k limit but it still tells me the file is invalid.

9. Back To Top    #9

pics

10. Back To Top    #10

11. Back To Top    #11

So you will be plumbing in the horizontal port instead of the vertical port that is connected now? Just make sure there is some straight section of pipe after the cell. Gas can still collect in other areas of the plumbing, you just don't want it to turn off the cell.
    Mark

12. Back To Top    #12

That is the plan. I will let everyone know how it turns out. I'm pretty optimistic it will work.

13. Back To Top    #13

Did lowering the cell work ???
    Sean Hannon
    30,000 Gallons gunite pool Coated by Fibertech
    Hayward Pro Grid 72 / Hayward multiport
    Circupool V3 VS pump
    CirCupool SWG RJ 60, 400.000 btu raypak , Built in SPA