Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Keeping glass away from pool - what do you use for beverages

1. Back To Top    #1

Keeping glass away from pool - what do you use for beverages

I have attempted to switch all of my adult beverage friends over to the adult capri sun type beverage pouches... but some days just call for a beer. I am usually a fan of frozen beer mugs but obviously I want to keep those and bottles away from the pool. I am not a fan of beer in cans and have never found a plastic cup that I felt great about for beer. What are y'all using? Are there some great plastic mugs or pint glasses or something that are a bit nicer? I am also going to need something for margaritas that isn't glass.

Thoughts?
    ~18,000 gallon
    DE filter/chlorine
    IG Grey Plaster
    25 year old pool w a facelift in 2014

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Keeping glass away from pool - what do you use for bever

I have has friends spill a floating cooler full of glass bottled beers in the pool before. They just sank to the bottom but didn't bust. I am not a fan of cans either but that's what we use now. Not to bad once you get use to them. Also we have some nice margarita glasses that are plastic. For other stuff we just use throw away Dixie cups. Cheap easy and no clean up.
    18x36 Grecian Vinyl; 8' Roman steps w/t 2 spa jets; cozy cove w/t 6 spa jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 3 returns; Hayward Ecostar, 30" Ranger sand filter; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; Hayward aqua logic; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves

3. Back To Top    #3

You are drinking the wrong canned beer. Maybe try some of the offerings from Oskar Blue.

I was at the movie theater last week and they had frozen acrylic pint beer glasses. It worked pretty well. But then I don't drink beer that requires a frozen mug.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

If worried about beer bottles, why not simply use the glass bottle, but put it in one of those neoprene insulated sleeves, while not completely safe from glass breakage, they can greatly lower the chance of glass in the pool.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

I have two solutions...

1. The plastic freezer mugs.

2. "Red solo cup, I lift you up..."
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

6. Back To Top    #6

I use the neoprene sleeve for beer bottles meet the pool.

21' AG (~11,000 gallons)
    Hayward S180T sand filter (35 gpm)
    Hayward Power-Flow SP1510 pump

7. Back To Top    #7

There are plenty of nice cups out there one could transfer beer into without using glass. Tervis tumblers makes some nice ones.
    Then of course you could use "coozies" which are always popular. The kids bring them home from weddings, frat parties, etc.
    My son in law would love to hook a keg up in my pool house fridge which would actually decrease trash and risk from glass. I'll keep thinking about that. Canned beer poured into a *nice* cold plastic beer mug isnt thatttttttt bad.
    I don't like to use disposables like solo cups (#5 plastic) if I can help it because they don't recycle. When I buy toss-away cups I go for the #1 or #2 plastics as those are picked up here by my garbage service. I like to avoid putting things in the landfill when ever possible.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

8. Back To Top    #8

Red solo cups!
    IG, 18K gallons, 100' Perimeter, 565 SF surface area, 980sf interior area, Max Length -36', Max Width - 16', Pentair 520 Clean and Clear Cartridge Filter, Stenner Chemical Injection System (Chlorine, Acid Coming Soon) , Pebble Tech - Blue Granite, Pentair variable speed filter pump, Zodiac MX8 Cleaner, Multi-Colored LED Lighting, Travertine coping & Decking, Boulder Water Fall....

9. Back To Top    #9

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

Definitely no glass in or around the pool! Nothing wrong with those freezer mugs. They work well and pose no safety hazard.

11. Back To Top    #11

We are "beer snobs" and there's a great selection of good craft beers in cans these days, in a coozie. I also like the insulated mugs fom the fridge, not the freezer. Our pool is under construction now so I'm soaking up all the info I can before it's complete.
    Under Construction! Digging began 7/29. ~32k gallon IG gunite, 23'x43' freeform, 3.5'-8.5' deep, SWG, Jandy Stealth 2hp, Jandy DEV D.E. 60" filter, Jandy LXi 400k btu heater, Paramount Cyclean in-floor cleaning, tanning ledge w/2 bubblers, 3 deck jets, Quartzscape Super Blue plaster, salt finished concrete deck...

12. Back To Top    #12

I second what RobbieH said about the acrylic pint beer mugs. I bought some at Target a few weeks ago and they freeze almost as good as glass. I am going to buy some more the next time I am at Target.
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

13. Back To Top    #13

Huh. I guess I'm not that paranoid -- I just drink straight from the brown bottles around the pool.

The beer cozy is probably worthwhile insurance.
    ~john
    24.5K G, pebble, SuperFlo VS 1.5, 48sq DE filter, Hayward H250FDN, Autopilot RC-52, Poolvergnuegen & 3 daily swimmers in season.

14. Back To Top    #14

We have two floating coolers - cans and plastic water bottles go in those. On the patio, I'm fine with glass bottles wrapped in a coozie (adults only) or acrylic "glasses". Kids get the red Solo cups.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

15. Back To Top    #15

We drink Miller Lite and switched to the can "bottles" after several broken bottles
    Built in 2011, 23x34' IG freeform play pool (18,850 gallon) ~ 7' spa raised 18" with 5 jets, 3 tier fountain and 5 tier cascading waterfall into pool ~ IntelliChlor SCG ~ Pentair Intelligent VS-3050 variable speed pump ~ Clean and Clear 420 cartridge filter ~ Easy touch controller ~ Blue Granite Pebble Sheen ~ Intellibrite LEDs ~ Turbo twister slide ~ 8x8 flagstone tanning ledge with umbrella sleeve and bubbler ~ In-pool flagstone table with umbrella sleeve ~ 997 sq ft exposed aggregate decking Our pool build

16. Back To Top    #16

I use a stainless steel Martini "glass" - probably not the best for beer, though.
    Mike
    ~17' x 34' IG pool with attached spa - 20500 gallons - Gunite with a "pebblesheen"-ish finish
    Jandy iAqualink with iPad and Jandy PDA remote - Pentair IntelliFlo VS 11018 Pump
    AquaRite SWCG - Pentair SMBW 4060 DE Filter - Really Old Raypak heater
    "Wall-E" an Arneson-Hayward Navigator - A couple of Jandy/Zodiac WaterColors LED Lights - Blue-White F-1000 Flow meter

17. Back To Top    #17

I use the neoprene, but when guests come we break these out.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009UH ... UTF8&psc=1
    George
    32k gal IG free form / Vinyl Liner (cement wall) / Jandy 2 HP FloPro
    LRZ400EN Heater / Jandy CV460 Cart. Filter
    Paramount Vantage in-floor pool cleaner / built April 2013

Pool Equipment Picture (on Flickr)

18. Back To Top    #18

Tervis tumblers...or red solo cups, I fill you up, let's have a party!
    17,000 inground gunite pool finished June 2013. Pentair variable speed something or another. Polaris cleaner, inline rainbow chlorinator. Using trichlor until CYA reaches 50-60.