I think I know what is going on but wanted to get your thoughts.
My pool has always been totally clear, have never had to shock. Been a BBBer since about 2 weeks after I inherited this pool (and paid an "expert" $1200 for not much) with the home we bought last summer and read TFP about every day.
My pool experiences a pretty low bather load, in fact, with the solar cover on I've been losing only about 0.5 ppm of FC a day for the past several weeks. We had a bad storm last Monday, large trees snapped in half, many many branches down, neighborhood is still a mess, etc.
FC loss has remained consistent from storm until now - about 0.5 a day over the past week, but I had not been in the pool. Lifting the cover now and then, the water still has looked clear, but I did notice a lot of dirt (I guess?) on the floor. Yesterday I finally got in to remove the cover and start vacuuming, taking the cover completely off revealed that the bottom was covered with a layer of.... whatever. When I got out after vac'ing half the pool (kids woke up from naps) I noticed the water was cloudy and a had a green tint. I assumed it was a result of me being in it and kicking all this stuff up, plus the water did not strike me as cloudy or green before I got in. I've never seen this before, but I got scared as I read these threads on TFP everyday!
I bumped the chlorine up to about 9ppm late last night, a bit below shock level of 12 (don't want to lose my "I've never had to shock" badge. Kidding... sort of).
As I thought about this, I'm wondering if it is just a bunch of tree pollen from the storm?? Given the consistently low FC consumption, it doesn't seem like anything could be growing in there, and I have never let my FC drop below my target level of 4.
Test results from recommended kit:
FC - Currently 9, but have maintained between 4-5 all season
CC - 0 (haven't had a CC show up on a test yet this year)
PH ranged between 7.2-7.7 all season
TA stuck at 100 - never moves
CH - can't recall but well below a level of any concern for vinyl pool
So, 2 questions:
Do you agree that the evidence is pointing to dirt, pollen or whatever suspended in the water as opposed to algae trying to grow?
What is best course of action? OCLT tonight to confirm nothing growing and then just wait/vac/filter, etc.?
Thanks, when we got the house I pondered just taking the pool down, but thanks to this site, I love it and wife and have now made it the centerpiece of our backyard!
(Edited to change subject line)