Overwhelmed by all these numbers....what do i need??

Jun 25, 2013
Green Bay, WI
Just finished filling the pool (18'x48" Intex Ultra) yesterday and ran the test with my TF-100 kit.

Ph 7.5
TC 0
TA 380
CH- started turning purplish around 30 drops but wasn't seeing alot of difference when i stopped at 45 drops.
CYA - filled the test tube and could still see the dot

I want to do the BBB method as a FYI.

So please tell me specifically what I need to do as this is becoming very overwhelming to me. I tried doing the pool calculator but i don't know what exactly i am reading. I need someone to babystep me through this :)

Thanks
Matt

You will need to add bleach/liquid chlorine & CYA.

If you have some bleach (plain, unscented) on hand, add it now. Use the PoolCalculator.com to help you figure the dose. Add about 2PPM.

Wallyworld, big box stores, pool stores, etc. sell CYA (a/k/a conditioner/stabilizer) . Ingredients should be close to 100% cyanuric acid.

While there, pick up the bleach/liquid chlorine and some muriatic acid.

Butterfly,

Thanks for the post. Im getting confused at the pool calculator because it seems like it wants more inputs than I have to give. So I am not sure what i should all be entering/removing, etc.

I plan to go to Wally world after work today so that's why i am trying to get my shopping list in order. I have an impatient 6 year old waiting to get in that pool.

Start by imputing as much info as you have for the spots where i've put a red arrow in the picture below. If you don't have data, don't enter it. I'm assuming you don't have Salt or Borates data, that's fine, you should have the rest.

Next, fill in the target levels you want to achieve in the spots where i've placed the green arrows in the picture below. Once you input number the calculator recalculates in the background instantly, you can also press the Calculate button near the top.

willie1280 said:
Butterfly,

Thanks for the post. Im getting confused at the pool calculator because it seems like it wants more inputs than I have to give. So I am not sure what i should all be entering/removing, etc.

I plan to go to Wally world after work today so that's why i am trying to get my shopping list in order. I have an impatient 6 year old waiting to get in that pool.
Go to PoolCalculator.com and....

First, add the pool gallons at the top.

Now, drop down to FC: put a zero in the 'now' column and 2 in the 'target' column, then click 'calculate'.
Hover mouse over the ounces and look up under the 'calculate' button and see ozs. translated to cups, quarts, gallons, pounds, etc.

Now, drop down to CYA: put a zero in the 'now' colummn and 40 in the 'target' column, then click 'calculate'.
Hover the mouse same as above for weights translated.

Lemme know what you get for calcs. We'll help confirm doses with you.

Forget about other stuff for now.

Did you fill with well water?
If you check this out extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html
And look at the section for CH (scroll down), you'll see an explanation about why your CH test is acting funny.

Specifically

"The sample may turn purple during the test, or go to blue for a moment and then turn back to red/pink. This is called a "fading endpoint" and is caused by interference from metal ions. If this happens, do the test again, but this time add five drops of R-0012 before adding any R-0010 or R-0011L. Remember to count the initial five drops in the total.
In extreme cases, a fading endpoint may occur even when adding five drops of R-0012 at the start. If that happens, mix pool water with an equal quantity of distilled water, test that, and then multiply the result by two."

Butterfly said:
willie1280 said:
Butterfly,

Go to PoolCalculator.com and....

First, add the pool gallons at the top.

Now, drop down to FC: put a zero in the 'now' column and 2 in the 'target' column, then click 'calculate'.
Hover mouse over the ounces and look up under the 'calculate' button and see ozs. translated to cups, quarts, gallons, pounds, etc.

Now, drop down to CYA: put a zero in the 'now' colummn and 40 in the 'target' column, then click 'calculate'.
Hover the mouse same as above for weights translated.

Lemme know what you get for calcs. We'll help confirm doses with you.

Forget about other stuff for now.

It says 27oz (3 cups 3 oz) of 6% bleach and 36oz of stabilizer.

harleysilo said:
Did you fill with well water?
If you check this out extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html
And look at the section for CH (scroll down), you'll see an explanation about why your CH test is acting funny.

Specifically

"The sample may turn purple during the test, or go to blue for a moment and then turn back to red/pink. This is called a "fading endpoint" and is caused by interference from metal ions. If this happens, do the test again, but this time add five drops of R-0012 before adding any R-0010 or R-0011L. Remember to count the initial five drops in the total.
In extreme cases, a fading endpoint may occur even when adding five drops of R-0012 at the start. If that happens, mix pool water with an equal quantity of distilled water, test that, and then multiply the result by two."

Yes I did fill with well water and i think it's got quite a bit of iron in it.

I simply went with the testing procedures that came with the kit, which i think only described a few. So i've printed off the link you sent me so that i can run all those test in the future.

Additionally, the water is somewhat cloudy. I can see bottom but it's got a milky white color to it.

Should I keep the kids outta the pool at this point yet or where am i at safety wise?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Those are just the extended test instructions, they are for the same tests you've done, just give more details in case you run into problems testing.

What water someone is willing to swim in is such a personal decision. You drink the water so should be fine for swimming, i'd get some chlorine in there first, and start getting your CYA dissolved as well.

LOL, make sure you hang it near a return so water circulates around it, which will help it dissolve faster. You can also give the sock a couple squeezes now and then to speed it along the way. Now it would be funny if you had an old sock monkey you could use....

You can do the bleach and CYA simultaneously. You'd add the bleach over a different return than you are hanging the sock. Or if you have only one return, then remove the CYA sock, add the bleach, then put the CYA sock back.

You can certainly have people in the pool an hour after you've added chemicals, though in pools with decent circulation it can be sooner than that. My own pool has very good circulation and after I add chlorine over one return in the deep end where I have a floor drain, I measure the FC rise throughout the pool within 10 minutes and after 20 minutes it's pretty much mixed. However, this depends a lot on the pool so saying 1 hour is safer in case your pool doesn't have great circulation. If you have only one return and one skimmer and no floor drain, the I suggest you lightly brush the pool in the area where you add the bleach just to help with bottom circulation/mixing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.