I have yellowish water (clear but yellowish) and thought it was metals and the sequestrant wasn't working. I took some of my untreated tap water in and the pool store said it was high in phosphates - 450- 500. He said that happens in my area a lot. He said to keep treating as normal and in the next few days the color should disappear. He also noted that phosphates are food for algae. I had a terrible problem with algae last summer. I did a little research and find that the phosphates have to break down in the water before the algae can eat them, and that they start to grow in pools (even treated ones) at the levels I have. This is consistent with what happened last year - a few weeks after I filled the pool is when I started having algae problems, literally overnight.
So should I treat to remove them or just let them balance? I am concerned because we will be gone for 6 days next week and then gone for 8 days in July. I'd rather not have to fight algae again and will do whatever I can to prevent it.