Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Raising pH and shock

1. Back To Top    #1

Raising pH and shock

This might not be the right forum and if not I apologize. I have started fighting what I believe to be an algae bloom. However prior to starting the shock process I tested at 6.8 pH. I had some left over pH up which test indicate i need to add 6 cups based on per-shock testing. Here is my question and problem, I forgot to do the pH up prior to starting shock. I know that I can't accurately test pH while shocking but should I go ahead and add the 6 cups pH up and test at the end of the shock process? Pool is an 18x36 in ground vinyl with pentair IC-40 SWG. Test number before starting shock were:

Fc- 3.8
    PH- 6.8
    TA- 80
    CH- 50
    CYA- 60
    27k gal, vinyl, Pentair SD-80 sand filter, Pentair 1.5 hp pump, intellichlor ic40 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Raising pH and shock

Do an FC and pH test and report the results. When doing the pH test, mix and read right away. How much and what kind of chlorine have you added?

With a TA of 80 and a SWG, it is unusual to have a low pH. Do you know why the pH is so low?

3. Back To Top    #3

I would go ahead and raise the PH at least a little now, and then the next time the FC level is below 10, test the PH again and adjust as needed. For shocking, you only need to raise PH to 7.2. Anything beyond that can wait until shocking is complete.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks JasonLion

James, can't get accurate pH reading right now because my FC level is about elevated for shock and throwing off pH level.

I'm going to add about 4 cups pH up and will test ph when done shocking.
    27k gal, vinyl, Pentair SD-80 sand filter, Pentair 1.5 hp pump, intellichlor ic40 SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

I'm going to add about 4 cups pH up and will test ph when done shocking.
    That's a good plan.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School