Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tricks for putting the lid on the pump basket back on?

1. Back To Top    #1

Tricks for putting the lid on the pump basket back on?

I have a Pentair Dynamo pump. I removed the glass lid to clean out the strainer. Now I can' get it back on. It has to be rotated so that it fits into two groves. The problem is that the lid isn't flat enough for both sides to fit into the groves. I thought turning on the pump would suck the lid flat on so I could turn it but that didn't work. Can I hammer it in?
    Very frustrating. It looks like it should be easy but it Isn't!

Any hints would be much appreciated.

Philip

Philip
    12.5x21.5x52" on-ground 29" below ground (6000 gallons water), .85 HP Hayward SP26115VSP , Hayward XStream 100 sq.ft. cartridge filter, Hayward AquaRite salt system, 160 sqft of Aquatherm solar panels on 12' high flat roof 25' away from pump, Goldline auto controller for solar, Heat Pump, May->October @77+ in Toronto, Pool Python.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Tricks for putting the lid on the pump basket back on?

Are you sure the o-ring is completely in place?

Try a little pool lube (plumbers lube, silicon based) on the o-ring. That could be holding the lid off just enough to cause what you describe.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

If it is warped, you may need to buy a new lid.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

This may or may not help...i have the intex sandfilter...and when i tried to put the lid back on when I cleaned the basket i had one hard time....i had forgotten to close the return valve! I only closed the outlet valve...so water was coming backwards through the pump and making it hard for me to screw on properly
    Intex 16'x48" Ultra Frame
    Intex 2,650-Gallon Sand Filter Pump
    Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater Filtration System
    Taylor K-2006

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for all the help. Putting some vegetable oil on the o-ring seemed to help. It finally went back on. Am getting a new pump this year so I hope I can get a different design.

Philip
    Philip
    12.5x21.5x52" on-ground 29" below ground (6000 gallons water), .85 HP Hayward SP26115VSP , Hayward XStream 100 sq.ft. cartridge filter, Hayward AquaRite salt system, 160 sqft of Aquatherm solar panels on 12' high flat roof 25' away from pump, Goldline auto controller for solar, Heat Pump, May->October @77+ in Toronto, Pool Python.

6. Back To Top    #6

Why would you use vegetable oil and not a gasket or pool lube? You always need to lube the o-ring to ensure a good seal.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Why would you use vegetable oil and not a gasket or pool lube? You always need to lube the o-ring to ensure a good seal.
    It's better than petroleum oil!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    It's better than petroleum oil!
    Valid point
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Wonder if peanut oil works to?
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

10. Back To Top    #10

I read about that in some thread here. Couldn't hurt and I didn't have any pool lube. This had just never happened before. I guess I should go out and get the proper stuff.

In any case, it did seem to work though it might have just been a fluke. The whole waterworks' structure is a real mystery to me. The terminology, types of pipes, flow rates, leaks, etc... you name it. Just seems very complicated.

Philip
    Philip