Fact or Fiction? Aircraft flying over your pool can affect y

Re: Fact or Fiction? Aircraft flying over your pool can affe

Sounds like a pool store is trying a new sales tactic to get rid of some industrial waste.

Very much fiction.

Have that pool store explain how a airplane can affect the water. I bet they can't!!

Sounded like snake oil to me, but thought I would ask. From what I have heard, they say airplane exhaust can contain unspent fuel, which affects your pool. I think they are right, but only if your pool is at the end of a runway.

Richard320 said:
Those airplanes (and the black helicopters) can really mess things up for sure. They'll also mess with you, unless you wear an Aluminum Foil Deflector Beanie. http://zapatopi.net/afdb/

[attachment=0:21bt70zn]afdb.jpg[/attachment:21bt70zn]
Richard please send me a beanie, I have sent you a check for the full $100 that your web ad suggested... LOL (this is a joke people).

Seriously, I can't believe how stupid the pool stores are or how stupid they think we are.

Sent via Tapatalk...

I worked on aircraft in the army. Doesn't matter what type of engine -- turbine or piston -- if you are dumping unburned fuel in your exhaust, you have problems.

The routine of dumping excess fuel by the commercial aircraft before landing went away a long time ago, when prices went sky high (pardon the pun, please).

Smykowski, How much reserve time (fuel) do you guys fly with now? 1 hour? Just enough for diversion to a second or third airport? Airlines can't afford to dump that expensive Jet-A anymore, can they.

Regs require planning to land with enough to get to 1st alternate (if required) plus 45 min. We usually land with a lot more than that, but you're right - nearly all the majors are breathing down the regionals' necks to keep that number to a minimum. I've only landed with min fuel twice, and both days were beautiful weather with no nonsense going on, but it's a wierd feeling taxiing to the gate with the fuel gauges in the amber.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Jet fuel is kerosene (for Jet A-1), mostly composed of straight-chained and branch-chained paraffins with around 10-16 carbons per molecule (usually 12-15). Much of is it not very soluble in water so would form an oil-like sheen on the water's surface. Strong skimmer action could remove it to get caught in the filter (it would likely be attracted to cartridge filter fibers) or one could use a scum ball to help remove it. Enzymes designed to break down hydrocarbons could also be used. So perhaps the product they were selling was something like Natural Chemistry® Pool Perfect.

I worked KC-135R tanker aircraft for 10 years, occasionally for an emergency they'd have to dump fuel to get down to max landing weight. Even then most of the fuel would evaporate before reaching the ground and if possible it's done over less densely populated areas. I was once on a French KC-135 that the gear didn't retract so right after takeoff we spent about an hour over the Med dumping fuel.

When I asked a local pool store where my phosphates were coming from, they name several sources including airplanes. Seriously. If I recall correctly they said something about the fuel (don't know if they were talking about raw fuel dump, or exhaust or???). Anyway, I tried Natural Chemistry PhosFree and it worked in reducing the phosphate level. However, after reading about phosphates at Trouble Free Pool, I now spend that money on beer.

I guess an airplane flying over could affect your pool......if its a crop duster.

chiefwej said:
I guess an airplane flying over could affect your pool......if its a crop duster.

Nope- crop dusters not allowed to fly over urban areas with chem tanks full. Have corn and wheat fields all around us and the only thing that over flys the pool are the mosquitoes and 4BCT assets from Fort Riley as they head out over the lake.
I think they may be having mechanical issues though because they seem to hover every time my wife or daughter are out by the pool. :hammer:

Those airplanes (and the black helicopters) can really mess things up for sure. They'll also mess with you, unless you wear an Aluminum Foil Deflector Beanie. http://zapatopi.net/afdb/
I think I need to make one of these; they just used their psychotronic powers to make me waste thirty minutes on their website. That's some funny stuff! :suspect:

4knights said:
I think they may be having mechanical issues though because they seem to hover every time my wife or daughter are out by the pool. :hammer:

Sounds like my unit (heli transport) when I was stationed in Ft Polk, LA. Seems like a lot of "overnight training flights" needed to be done during Mardi Gras. :shock: :party: :party:

Yes, I'm a rotorhead. Can you go get me some flight line and rotor wash?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.