Haven't even put the pool up and I want a bigger pump!

Haley

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 30, 2013
Washington
Hi, all! For the last week, I've been reading Pool School and poring over everyone's posts to educate myself before I even set up our Intex 15'x48" pool. (I'm scared!!) :shock: I have my BBB's all ready to go, I just need a few more things... Oh, and I'm slated to receive my Taylor K2006 in a couple of days; in the meantime I have a Walmart hth 6-way.

My question is, has anyone EVER just used the pump that the Intex pools come with? It sounds like everyone upgrades to the larger sand filters right away. My hubby is a wait-and-see kind of guy, but I'm a do-it-right-the-first-time kind of girl. (Plus, I'm the one setting it all up!) :wink:

Thank you!
-Haley

Welcome to TFP!

You will find that you need at least the 2500 gal/hr cartridge pump, or the 2650 sand filter. Those little canister pumps can barely draw through the filter.

Do note in my signature that I am still using the pump with no filter in it just for my heater, until I can hard plumb my pool. For this it works ok, but could be better.

That's it hiding under the table.

If you decide to go with the 2500 gph pump, best to order the Unicel C-5315 cartridge for it. The Intex branded filters will only catch the large stuff, and let most dirt and pollen through.

People do sometimes use the little Intex cartridge filters and it often kind of works, but I don't recommend it. I agree with Charlie_R that the 2650 sand filter is about the minimum you actually want to have.

I kept an Intex clean for 4 seasons with the little pump/filter things. I had a TFTest Kit so I never had any algae to clear (I think that would be impossible). I also ran it 24/7 except for when we were actually swimming. I had about 3 filters and every few days I would take one out and hose it off well and put in another one that had previously been rinsed off. If you never get behind on water chemistry, it does circulate the water enough. I did end up putting a sock or nylon on the return to catch some of the finer stuff that passed through the filter. So yes, with good chemistry, it is definitely do-able. But if the sand filter or a bigger cartridge system (they have some pump/filter combos I had considered) is in the budget, I would upgrade.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.