Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: White areas on wall where algae used to be

1. Back To Top    #1

White areas on wall where algae used to be

I'm on day 2 of killing the algae. I've maintained shock level, the water is clearing up nicely but I noticed today that areas of white have replaced where the algae was hanging out on the pool wall. When scraped they can be removed. They cannot be removed with the nylon pool brush. What is this?
    12,000 gallon SWG - IG Medium grey plaster - Water Sheets, Spillover Spa and 28ft x 4 ft tanning ledge
    Hayward High Rate Sand Filter - ProSeries - 2 pumps - 1 variable speed, 1 two speed
    Hayward Heater - Hayward Pro Logic Automated Digital System with wireless remote
    Pool build June 18, 2016 - TF-100 Test Kit with Speedstir - Hayward SharkVac

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: White areas on wall where algae used to be

It sounds like scaling.

Can you post a set of test results and how you got them?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I have the Taylor K-2006. My last full test results were as follows:

FC 24.5
    CC 0.5
    PH 7.4
    TA 140
    CH 300
    CYA 40

Thanks for your help!
    12,000 gallon SWG - IG Medium grey plaster - Water Sheets, Spillover Spa and 28ft x 4 ft tanning ledge
    Hayward High Rate Sand Filter - ProSeries - 2 pumps - 1 variable speed, 1 two speed
    Hayward Heater - Hayward Pro Logic Automated Digital System with wireless remote

4. Back To Top    #4

With those numbers you could scale during the shock process. Especially if the pH went up. Once you're done shocking Keep your pH near 7.2 and they should dissolve over time.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Great, thanks Dave!

6. Back To Top    #6

Since you have plaster, you might try a wire brush also. Finding that I could use one was one of those life changing situations.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

I have a wire brush on the way, thanks Robbie H!