Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Keeping FC high?

1. Back To Top    #1

Keeping FC high?

According to the charts with a cya level of 60, my min FC is 5 and target FC is 7. Is there any reason not to run it on the high side? Maybe consider 7 as the minimum and try to keep it floating between 9 and 12?

The cost should be the same to bump it up a few points whether it is from 5 to 8 or 9 to 12, and I would feel a little safer considering my month long fight with mustard algae. I also think it would compensate for any errors I may have made reading the cya test.
    10.5K gallon, AG vinyl, Hayward EC40 DE filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Keeping FC high?

You don't lose a fixed PPM per day to sunlight, rather it's a percentage. So you will use a teeny bit more bleach at the higher FC. That being said, it's cheap insurance. I always pad my FC level, too.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

You can make your target 8 or maybe 9 but I wouldn't go higher than that. As long as you don't drop below 5 though, you should be ok.

4. Back To Top    #4

Those were my thoughts exactly. I would rather use a bit more bleach and reduce the chances of a problem. I am more concerned with crystal clear water than running things as cheap as possible. This way I shouldn't ever have to worry about dipping below the minimum.

Are there any negatives to keeping it high? I am doing damage to the vinyl liner or anything in the pump?
    10.5K gallon, AG vinyl, Hayward EC40 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Keeping your FC higher than needed can bleach hair and swimwear.