Figuring out the shock process.

Jun 11, 2013
Ra
I have my SWG shut done for now trying to get a handle on a cloudy pool. Been having issues with the intellichlor holding and or producing chlorine. The pool was starting to clear immediately after I starting shocking. Started this past Friday at 5PM 2 days ago. The pool right now is crystal clear. Today I noticed white floaters in the skimmer basket which from what ive been reading is dead algae. With the pool clean and clear and no noticeable algae I cannot figure out where the chlorine is going. Any ideas would be appreciated. Here are my numbers.
TC fluctuating but shooting for a shock level of 17.
Do have a CC reading of .5
cya is 40
PH is 7.3
AK is 120
CH is 290

My rate of chlorine consumtion is about 1ppm per hour.

It's still fighting microscopic algae. Because of the sun, the CC you're forming is dissipating, which is why it looks good when you test. That's why there's that third test to know when you're done with the shock process - the overnight loss test.

If you started Friday and it looks clear by Sunday, you're doing a fantastic job! I think the best we've had so far for green-to-clean was 4 days last year, and the guy set his alarm and got up every few hours to redose all night long. Just keep the Fc up, and look for hiding places, like under and inside steps and ladders and inside light niches. Keep brushing, too.

Yes we have made progress but it scares me to not see what I am fighting. Our pool is a one piece fiberglass construction and we have been fighting a metal stain that pops up too. Weird thing is I treat it as metal but shows up no where on the iron and copper testing. But responds to Vitamin C. So we also have the purplestuff in there but I don't have a test kit for the sequesterant agent. Here is a question. Just talking to my wife, should I add a maintenance shot of jacks everyday while I am shocking to guard against it being consumed by the chlorine? I know I am adding more to this but thanks again for the help!

You don't want to add more sequestrant everyday, but perhaps twice as often as you would normally. Getting the sequestrant level several times too high can cause problems, so some extra is a good idea, but don't go overboard.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.