Weekly Maintenance Checklist for Salt Water Pool

Jun 30, 2013
I was wondering if anyone had a check list for weekly chemical maintenance for a salt water pool. I went to Leslie's to get a list and the list the employee gave me included muratic acid. Knowing how dangerous that stuff is I would prefer not to use it every week or even keep it around if I don't need to.

The pool is 15,000 gallons, uses a sand filter, and is above ground.

Thanks for any help!

Welcome to TFP!

Here's as good a checklist as you'll find. pool-school/basic_pool_care_schedule

Is there a specific reason why you are worried about using muriatic acid? As long as you don't splash it or take a big whiff of it, it is quite safe to use. The real risk involved in using it is to the eyes. Wear some goggles or shields and you will be okay. We like muriatic acid here because it works well and is easy to dose. It also doesn't add any extra stuff that you don't need or want into your pool water.

257WbyMag said:
Welcome to TFP!

Here's as good a checklist as you'll find. pool-school/basic_pool_care_schedule

Is there a specific reason why you are worried about using muriatic acid? As long as you don't splash it or take a big whiff of it, it is quite safe to use. The real risk involved in using it is to the eyes. Wear some goggles or shields and you will be okay. We like muriatic acid here because it works well and is easy to dose. It also doesn't add any extra stuff that you don't need or want into your pool water.

was just reading that :) I actually understand the vacuuming, skimming, etc, its just the chemicals I am very new to. I read that you are supposed to pour the acid in the deepest end of the pool, but my AG pool has a uniform depth (I think this is common?). With that said, where should I pour it? I watched some youtube videos and they gave conflicting answers, some said to pour near the skimmer so the pump can distribute it and some said to do opposite side of the pool as the pump.

I guess my one concern is the pool is 4 ft 6 inches tall and I am 6 feet tall so I am not sure how I can pour over the side without having it come right back at my nose..

Amazing to get a response so fast and I am learning quite a bit reading the wiki stuff!

Never pour muriatic acid into your skimmer. The high concentration of acid would cause damage to you seals and stuff. Best to pour it slowly in front of a return. You can also predilute it if you like. Just make sure that your pump is on and the water is moving. This is true for all chemical additions really. Nobody should get into the pool for at least an hour after adding the acid.

So I poured it for the first time this morning and still alive :)

Was wondering though --- do you need to dilute it first? The instructions from Leslies say to but then I see a bunch of videos online where they don't. Seems like it would be easier to not dilute

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have found with my TA down around 70-80 my PH rise is minimal, been hovering around 7.6 since I opened this year. With a TA around 120 I was adding MA every few weeks to keep the PH in check.

ComputerGuyInNOLA said:
If you do dilute it make sure you add the acid to a bucket of water. NEVER add water to acid. Very dangerous.

Yes I read that a few places and did the correct order when diluted this morning. I won't be diluting anymore though.

Also - small world - I am from new orleans and do IT security work =)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.