Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump won't run

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump won't run

I just got done finishing out the electrical and now the pump won't run. I had the wiring temporarily hooked up without a box on the outside of the house and it worked fine. I put a permanent weatherproof box on the house and connected the wires with weatherproof wire-nuts. I have a lot of experience with electrical work (yes it is wired correctly for size) but no experience with electric motors.

The pump was working fine before but now it is really hard to start. If i turn the switch to low or high it hums but doesn't run. Retry and it may run or not run. When it does run it hesitates for a second or two humming and then starts pumping. When it runs it is quite and runs fine.

It didn't do this before the new box. It would start pumping immediately. What gives?
    13,500gal AGP Matrix 24'
    Pentair Sanddollar SD-80 75GPM filter, Pentair Dynamo 1HP 2 speed pump
    Polaris 65 pool cleaner
    (20'x30" solar heater to be installed)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump won't run

How long a run and what wire gauge did you do to the pump? What is the voltage reading?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Wire is 12 AWG about an 80' run. 15 amp GFCI breaker. All within the limits of the pumps documentation.

Left it off for about 15 minutes and then it fired right up. I hate electrical Gremlins. They are exactly the reason I gave up on an electrical carreer and became a Nurse.

After I wired it all up, I went in and turned on the breaker without turning of the switch on the pump. By the time walked around the house and figured out what was happening the pump was smoking a little and hot. Maybe I fried the starter windings. But why did this happen in the first place.

Anyways it is running now though I'm hesitant to shut it off. Weirdest thing is that the last time I turned it off trying to test it, it made a "pssss" sound when it stopped pumping. Like a steam engine or something.
    13,500gal AGP Matrix 24'
    Polaris 65 pool cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

Check the voltage at the pump, if it is low, then the pump may not start or run properly.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

Measured 124 volts across the terminals with the pump off. NOT Brave enough to hold the probes down in a running motor, especially when I don't know what the problem is. Although if it keeps messing up I may try it.
    13,500gal AGP Matrix 24'
    Polaris 65 pool cleaner

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    Check the voltage at the pump, if it is low, then the pump may not start or run properly.
    I wonder if appliances in the house like AC, Dryer, all the lights on, Water Heater, Well Pump, running at the same time could cause it to be too low. Although 124 Volts open circuit seems plenty to me.
    13,500gal AGP Matrix 24'
    Polaris 65 pool cleaner

7. Back To Top    #7

Is it possible for the filter to hold vacuum like vapor lock in an engine? Just thinking pump works fine now and I can't figure out what is different now. Still afraid to run a timer and risk it not starting and overheating again.

13,500gal AGP Matrix 24'
    Polaris 65 pool cleaner

8. Back To Top    #8

Induction motors have a fairly large voltage range so I doubt that was the issue.

Does the pump motor have a centrifugal switch? Check the contacts to make sure they are clean. The timer contacts could also be the issue.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

9. Back To Top    #9

I need a schematic for the motor. A wiring diagram would be helpful too. I hate to open it all up again now that it's working. Probably it will end up being a project for winter.

13,500gal AGP Matrix 24'
    Polaris 65 pool cleaner