Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First Time Testing with TF-100

1. Back To Top    #1

First Time Testing with TF-100

Just joined the TFP site after reading a ton of great info and posts the last few weeks. I ordered a TF-100 and just completed all the tests to see where I'm at. I'm a little worried about the CH and CYA. We have very "hard" water here and have visible calcium build up on faucets in the home. I've gone with pool store chemicals since I've owned the pool (about 6 years).
    17,000 gal gunite chlorine pool
    FC 10ppm
    PH 7.5
    CC 0
    TA 100
    CH 650
    CYA 100+
    Any help or suggestions would be great. I've read many posts about trapping rain water for the pool instead of filling from the City water supply so that may be something I have to look in to doing soon. I've have some visible signs of calcuim residue around my elevated spa waterfall and where some of the gunite meets the stone. I'm excited to get away from the pool store chemicals and learn more about the BBB method. Thank you!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First Time Testing with TF-100

Welcome to TFP.

Yes the CYA is high. somebody else will help with the CH.
    There's a couple of threads on that today.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

I found this on the CH.

They stole my water sample!

When CH starts getting that high, you really need to watch TA & pH. Plug the numbers into the pool calculator and see what the CSI is, then play with the parameters and get a feel for how close to scaling its is, and what even small changes to pH and TA can do. Incidentally, that pol is a prime candidate for using the 10 ml sample size. At that level, whether you read 800, 825, or 810 it doesn't make a lot of difference. What's the CH of the fill water? If it's high, the drain & refill scenario isn't as satisfying as it could be. Rainwater is another story. Encourage them to harvest as much of that free Calcium-free water as possible when it rains.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to tfp, smac22

As pwrstrk said, you need to lower your cya level.

At a CH of 650 and a TA of 100 you need to always keep your ph below 7.8 which is manageable. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...alcium_scaling

What is your fill water CH?

Post pictures of the scale you are seeing...it sounds like it may be efflorescence and not scale.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you for the replies! My fill water test today came back at CH of 100 so I'm thinking a partial removal and refill may be necessary. I did a 70% removal and refill about 3 years ago so I guess the tablets and shock ruined that quickly. I've attached a few pics of the white buildup I'm getting as well. Thank you for the help and advice
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Back To Top    #6

That looks like efflorescence to me. You maybe can remove it with a dilute Muriatic Acid solution on it, but it may continue to come back for awhile. Hopefully over time it should happen less and less. Here is one of many threads on it:http://www.troublefreepool.com/likel...=efflorescence
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you, I've cleaned it before with muriatic acid and it bubbles up and I can scrub most of it away but yes it comes back. The thicker areas that come back are between the gunite and the flagstone shown mostly in the last picture. Most of the slight discoloration on the actual flagstone is happening where I cant' get behind it to install any barrier and occurs mainly by my 2 shears and spa spill over area. I'll keep at it with the acid but I sure don't want to ruin the stone or weaken the grout