Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New, draining, convert baquacil to chlorine, help!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

New, draining, convert baquacil to chlorine, help!!!

[*]hi, the name is Jamie, just had my pool for 3 weeks, having to drain to repair a side and want to convert while I'm down.
    Jamie
    18' round ag 7600gal soft side intex
    Krystal clear 1500 gal/hr cartridge filter
    Set up 6/10/13, baquacil for 3 weeks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New, draining, convert baquacil to chlorine, help!!!

Welcome to tfp, Elzannajamie

Have you reviewed the pool school article on the conversion yet?: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...ine_conversion
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Nope, but I will be sure to before I get started with anything, draining the pool right now.
    Jamie

4. Back To Top    #4

Why are you draining the pool? Our conversion process is typically done without draining...what type of pool do you have?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

If it is an above-ground pool, which it sounds like, don't empty it 100%. You might end up with wrinkles in the bottom. Leave about a foot of water in the pool if you can.

And take pictures of the colors changing. We like that.

Oh - and Welcome!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

I have to drain because I have to reinforce a side that washed out with a recent storm.
    Jamie

7. Back To Top    #7

Do I have to go thru the whole long process if I completely drain my pool? Or can I just scrub the whole thing down with 50/50 bleach and water and start again?
    Jamie

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Elzannajamie
    Do I have to go thru the whole long process if I completely drain my pool? Or can I just scrub the whole thing down with 50/50 bleach and water and start again?
    You'll need the whole process. The good news is, it won't take very long. But there's still going to be residual in the plumbing and stuff you missed in the pool.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!