Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Extreme Heat levels

1. Back To Top    #1

Extreme Heat levels

I am in CA and in the middle of 111 degree heat. What do you guys recommend I should keep my FC levels at? I have been trying to keep around 5 but thinking I should go higher? Is there anything else I should watch out for? Tomorrow is supposed to be 114. Man O man is HOT!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Extreme Heat levels

It all depends on what your CYA level is.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

The temperature doesn't matter. Just keep it within the recommended range for your CYA level.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

San Rafael, CA USA

Though some pathogens grow faster at hotter temperatures (some algae slows down in growth when you get too high), chlorine also reacts more quickly and actually outpaces the pathogen growth. So you shouldn't need to use a higher FC target, BUT the rate of chlorine loss will be greater from reacting with organics in the pool and from outgassing. Even so, most loss is still from sunlight and that is independent of temperature.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"