Brand new here, and in need of a new filter

Jun 28, 2013
I am very happy to have discovered this site! My primary issue right now is that my 15 year old stainless de pool filter has sprung too many leaks for me to patch, so it's replacement time. I'm thinking about possibly changing to one of the quad de filters, as the Pentair brand should bolt right in where my old filter sits. The "sales literature" and the pool store "experts" make them seem like a great upgrade. I need some advise from some "real world folks" before I drop another thousand dollars into my pool equipment. Also, I need help in sizing recommendations ... My existing filter is a 72 sf unit. Thanks in advance for any guidance you would like to provide.

A little more info: My back-wash valve is also leaking. Since it's also 15 years old, I will probably replace it (rather than rebuild it) when I do the filter. Therefore, there will be plumbing to do anyway, so filter brand is not quite as important.

Welcome to tfp, T-Wrecks :wave:

We would recommend a minimum 54 sq. ft. DE filter. As to the quad de model, it has received much positive feedback on here, although I read the replacement cartridges are a little more expensive.

Welcome to TFP :wave:

I just had a new pool built. It's got a Hayward DE7220 my guess is, it may depends on your pump GMP/HP, but I'm not a real world expert. I've had DE, Sand and Cartridge Filter types. I favor the DE,I'm a pool owner for 25 years +. DE is more user friendly IMHO......... at least it is for me :)

:cheers:
Kirk in Texas

Thanks for everyone's input. I should have added that I have a Purex Triton 6-port valve, but it is in need of new gasket and o-rings, and is older technology ... not the hi-flow that is available now (which is what I am planning on changing to).