Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Brand new here, and in need of a new filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Brand new here, and in need of a new filter

I am very happy to have discovered this site! My primary issue right now is that my 15 year old stainless de pool filter has sprung too many leaks for me to patch, so it's replacement time. I'm thinking about possibly changing to one of the quad de filters, as the Pentair brand should bolt right in where my old filter sits. The "sales literature" and the pool store "experts" make them seem like a great upgrade. I need some advise from some "real world folks" before I drop another thousand dollars into my pool equipment. Also, I need help in sizing recommendations ... My existing filter is a 72 sf unit. Thanks in advance for any guidance you would like to provide.
    Texas / 15 year old gunite pool (re-plastered in 2012) / 15x30 / 19k gallons / 1.5 hp WhisperFlo pump (replaced in 2012) / Purex Triton Nautilus Plus NSP 72 sf de filter / Polaris cleaner with PB4-60 3/4 hp booster pump (replaced in 2013) / Vision "Nature II" filter / Rainbow Lifeguard 320 auto chlorine feeder

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Brand new here, and in need of a new filter

A little more info: My back-wash valve is also leaking. Since it's also 15 years old, I will probably replace it (rather than rebuild it) when I do the filter. Therefore, there will be plumbing to do anyway, so filter brand is not quite as important.
    Texas / 15 year old gunite pool (re-plastered in 2012) / 15x30 / 19k gallons / 1.5 hp WhisperFlo pump (replaced in 2012) / Purex Triton Nautilus Plus NSP 72 sf de filter / Polaris cleaner with PB4-60 3/4 hp booster pump (replaced in 2013) / Vision "Nature II" filter / Rainbow Lifeguard 320 auto chlorine feeder

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to tfp, T-Wrecks

We would recommend a minimum 54 sq. ft. DE filter. As to the quad de model, it has received much positive feedback on here, although I read the replacement cartridges are a little more expensive.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP

I just had a new pool built. It's got a Hayward DE7220 my guess is, it may depends on your pump GMP/HP, but I'm not a real world expert. I've had DE, Sand and Cartridge Filter types. I favor the DE,I'm a pool owner for 25 years +. DE is more user friendly IMHO......... at least it is for me

Kirk in Texas
    Pool IG, 20'x30'x5', 15,000 gals, QuartzScapes NPT Tahoe Blue, Sundek Classic Texture, DE Hayward Pro-grid DE7220 , Pentair erosion auto CH, Main PMP Century 1.5hp , Polaris 280, booster PMP Century 3/4hp, Electronics PNL timer/light Pro Logic Model AQL2-SS-RF w/Remote CNTL

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

I am not a DE filter guy but if your old "backwash" valve is just a two position, I would encourage you to get a multi-port valve with your new filter. Big improvement.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for everyone's input. I should have added that I have a Purex Triton 6-port valve, but it is in need of new gasket and o-rings, and is older technology ... not the hi-flow that is available now (which is what I am planning on changing to).