stbl vs un stbl

SHADEZ

Jul 10, 2011
I have been reading recommended levels and I wonder
the about the TA level for stabilized versus unstabilized since Im starting out
with bleach with a little stabilized water from last year ..
it would be considered as unstabilized (cya 0-19)
until I use the pucks to raised my cya then it would be stabilized ..
but once I stop using them for the rest of the season and going back to bleach ..
as my main cl source .. which recommendation should I follow then?

last year I had a cya of about 25 and was using 1 gallon of bleach a day ...
this year I have an unreadable cya well below 20 and I'm using 1 gallon of bleach a day ..

the only difference I see is that I can Have a higher cl level with cya but I don't see any decrease in cl usage

The issue isn't "Is there CYA in the pool?", the issue is "What type of chlorine are you using to chlorinate, stabilized or unstabilized?" I think the better way to look at it is what the effects are on the pool of stabilized chlorine (ie, pucks and powder):

In a stabilized pool, (or more accurately put, in a pool using exclusively stabilized chlorine) you are constantly adding CYA to the pool, which is constantly driving pH down. You then have to either add borax/pH up/washing soda/aerate to bring it back up. The pH yo-yo will drive TA down. High TA pools have will either drift upward, or resist driving pH downward.

Understanding that, you could use the "stabilized chlorine" numbers until you make the switch, then adjust as necessary.

SHADEZ said:
last year I had a cya of about 25 and was using 1 gallon of bleach a day ...
this year I have an unreadable cya well below 20 and I'm using 1 gallon of bleach a day ..

the only difference I see is that I can Have a higher cl level with cya but I don't see any decrease in cl usage
Even with cya at 25 ppm, the sun will use up a lot of your chlorine. I would move it up to 40-50 ppm cya and you should see significant less chlorine usage. If you do not, then you may have something else in your water eating up your chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.