Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: stbl vs un stbl

1. Back To Top    #1

stbl vs un stbl

I have been reading recommended levels and I wonder
    the about the TA level for stabilized versus unstabilized since Im starting out
    with bleach with a little stabilized water from last year ..
    it would be considered as unstabilized (cya 0-19)
    until I use the pucks to raised my cya then it would be stabilized ..
    but once I stop using them for the rest of the season and going back to bleach ..
    as my main cl source .. which recommendation should I follow then?

last year I had a cya of about 25 and was using 1 gallon of bleach a day ...
    this year I have an unreadable cya well below 20 and I'm using 1 gallon of bleach a day ..

the only difference I see is that I can Have a higher cl level with cya but I don't see any decrease in cl usage
    21X41, 30,000, ig, vinyl,48sf de, 1hp hayward super pump, 2" piping, 2 skimmers, 1 main inlet, 2 return, built in 1988, no enclosure, lots of trees around, direct sun. Thanks in advance to all who have answered my questions.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: stbl vs un stbl

The issue isn't "Is there CYA in the pool?", the issue is "What type of chlorine are you using to chlorinate, stabilized or unstabilized?" I think the better way to look at it is what the effects are on the pool of stabilized chlorine (ie, pucks and powder):

In a stabilized pool, (or more accurately put, in a pool using exclusively stabilized chlorine) you are constantly adding CYA to the pool, which is constantly driving pH down. You then have to either add borax/pH up/washing soda/aerate to bring it back up. The pH yo-yo will drive TA down. High TA pools have will either drift upward, or resist driving pH downward.

Understanding that, you could use the "stabilized chlorine" numbers until you make the switch, then adjust as necessary.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: stbl vs un stbl

Quote Originally Posted by SHADEZ
    last year I had a cya of about 25 and was using 1 gallon of bleach a day ...
    this year I have an unreadable cya well below 20 and I'm using 1 gallon of bleach a day ..

the only difference I see is that I can Have a higher cl level with cya but I don't see any decrease in cl usage
    Even with cya at 25 ppm, the sun will use up a lot of your chlorine. I would move it up to 40-50 ppm cya and you should see significant less chlorine usage. If you do not, then you may have something else in your water eating up your chlorine.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.