Thank you experts!

Jun 27, 2013
Like many here, I was at my wits end last week. My pool was out of control and I was completely frustrated. Ill spare you the details, but like many others on this site, I was lead astray by relying on others to monitor my water health instead of doing it myself. The root cause of my problems was the CYA levels. Almost 200, Yikes! The water is still a little cloudy, I think I have to be a little patient with my sand filter.

Before and After (first image was taken June 26th. The After picture was this morning (Jun 30)

[attachment=0:1y1fm645]PoolSchool.jpg[/attachment:1y1fm645]
I'm getting the proper test kit ordered and will start maintaining my pool myself!

Thank you all for your education and inspiration.

Attachments

• PoolSchool.jpg
    PoolSchool.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 43
Welcome to TFP!

Looks much better. You may need to do a series of partial drains and refills until you get your CYA down. If you don't have a saltwater chlorine generator, then you want that CYA between 30 and 50.

I figured that I would not be able to get my CYA down with one partial drain, so I decided to drain while at the same time adding tap water from the hose. While I will not know the exact CYA level until the test kit arrives, The test strips (I know, I know they are highly inaccurate) along with the HTH kit show it to be around 50.

I still have a lot to learn. So expect some questions in the future.

Seriously, this site is fantastic. Thank you all for the advice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.