Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Swimming Pool Gas Heater - runnng a pipe above ground?

1. Back To Top    #1

Swimming Pool Gas Heater - runnng a pipe above ground?

Will it help to heat pool faster if I run outflow pipe from the heater above the ground?
    Thanks.
    Andy
    Chicago, IL
    IG 20'000 gal
    18 x 36 ft
    Cartridge

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Swimming Pool Gas Heater - runnng a pipe above ground?

No, it won't make any detectable difference.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

What is heater outflow water temperature in general?
    I feel a little warm water coming from my inflow pipes.
    Thanks.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

It will be warm, not hot.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

5. Back To Top    #5

Why not hot?

6. Back To Top    #6

It depends on the heater BTU output and the flow rate through the heater. For example, a 400k BTU heater (80% efficient) and a 70 GPM flow rate will raise the water temperature about 9 degrees. Half the flow rate, doubles the output heat rise.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

I assume you are asking because you feel your pool isn't heating up fast enough? Do you have one of those bubble type solar heaters laying on top of the water? If you don't I would recommend you look into it. Your loosing heat at a pretty good clip, you need to slow it down......it will make a good difference on the heating bill too (preventing heat loss).

Bob E.

8. Back To Top    #8

I always thought that air is a bad heat conductor and pool loses heat through the walls to cold ground around it...

9. Back To Top    #9

Heat loss occurs through evaporation, covering the water will work best. My cover saves me at least 5 degrees on cool nights.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]