New pool up and just about full...now what??

Measure your current levels, use poolcalculator.com to get everything in balance. Be sure to fill in the yellow section marked Suggested Goal Levels near the bottom. troublefreepool.com, bleach, vinyl.

If this is 100% fresh water (I'm sure it is!) you can use floaters with trichlor tablets to chlorinate while you bring your CYA up with those same tablets, or you can do everything separate. Just use the calculator to tell you how each tablet will affect the CYA as you use them. If is easier to most to keep it all separate, as in add bleach and CYA/stabilizer separately, you can do that; it just depends on what is easier for you.

Get some bleach and cya in there. Shoot for 40 ppm of CYA in a sock in front of the return and adjust FC to that level of CYA. The CYA won't show up for about a week. Then check PH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

willie1280 said:
So I need to go and purhcase 1 jug of the HTH stabilizer and conditioner? Is that all I need? Are the directions on it in terms of measuring it out.
Use
http://www.poolcalculator.com/ Bookmark that page; it's your new best friend.

Put in your gallons, put zero in the now column for CYA and your chosen goal in the Target. I'd suggest 40 in case the pool's not as deep as you think. You can add more later easily enough, but removal is a PITA. It will tell you how much by weight or volume. Measure that much out into an old sock or nylon, tie it up, and suspend it in the pool in front of the return jet. Or dangling off a float like a pool toy. That's it! It will dissolve ina few days. Squeezing it now and then will speed it up, but don't let the kids play football with it or anything too rough.

Then just set pH in the comfort zone and maintain Chlorine level to the recommended levels for the CYA you targeted.

Harleysilo just wrote extensively on this topic here: post531223.html#p531223

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.