1. Back To Top    #1

Tested, now next steps?

FC - 8
    PH - 8.0
    TA - 200
    CH - 875
    CYA - 70

Three questions I need help with:

According to pool calculator, add 111oz of acid. Does it matter how I add it? ie. in one spot, spread it around, etc?

Since i'm in LV, do I need to drain 50% of my water due to the CH? Or is that acceptable because of the region? I tested CH last Sept to a result of 375. CYA hasn't moved since I have been using liquid chlorine.

BTW, the Ph is constantly creeping up. How do I stabilize it?
    45k gallon plaster, EasyTouch 8SC, Pentair IntelliFlo VS, IC60, Hayward SwimClear C4020, SwimQuip 1M divingboard, Polaris ATV

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Tested, now next steps?

Slowly add the MA near a return. I put my bottle as close to the water as possible to avoid splashing.

You can test your tap water and see if it's high in CH. If so, draining won't improve your situation. You will have to keep pH and TA in check to avoid scaling.

pH is creeping because your TA is so high. Here is how to fix that.
    pool-school/lowering%20total%20alkalinity
    So in pool calculator, make sure you add enough MA to lower to 7.2. If you want to do it carefully, go to 7.4 first, then test again after an hour and add enough to bring it the rest of the way down.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Look at this post They stole my water sample!

When CH starts getting that high, you really need to watch TA & pH. Plug the numbers into the pool calculator and see what the CSI is, then play with the parameters and get a feel for how close to scaling its is, and what even small changes to pH and TA can do. Incidentally, that pol is a prime candidate for using the 10 ml sample size. At that level, whether you read 800, 825, or 810 it doesn't make a lot of difference. What's the CH of the fill water? If it's high, the drain & refill scenario isn't as satisfying as it could be. Rainwater is another story. Encourage them to harvest as much of that free Calcium-free water as possible when it rains.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for your responses!

Will CH rise over time even if I keep the TA and PH in check?
    45k gallon plaster, EasyTouch 8SC, Pentair IntelliFlo VS, IC60, Hayward SwimClear C4020, SwimQuip 1M divingboard, Polaris ATV