Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool owner...

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool owner...

Just got my new pool all set up and need some guidance with chemicals and what not. It's a 15ft pool that's 35.5 ft deep and has a filtration system. I bought 3" tablets but the filter system say it only uses 1" so I just cut it up and put it in the filter system as suggested in the manual. That was last night around 10. Just tested it this morning and no chlorine is showing? Just wanting to know where to start to get everything perfect. Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool owner...

I would start at reading pool school and get a grasp on what to use and what not to use like those pucks. Their no good.

Switch over to bleach. Also get yourself one of the test kits we recommend. I use the TF-100.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Pool school is where you should start, but until then..........add some plain bleach in there to get FC up. We'll assume you meant 3.5 feet deep too! Welcome!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!

The first steps is to get some water test results. There is no way to know what needs adjusting without knowing what your current levels are. Ideally you want a top quality test kit (probably the best investment in your pool you can make), but if you don't have one pool store results are much better than nothing.

If you just filled the pool, I am not surprised that you aren't reading any chlorine. Your CYA starts out at zero, and sunlight burns off all of the chlorine very very quickly when CYA is zero.

And, of course, pwrstrk's advice to do some reading in Pool School is a really good idea!
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm assuming the tf100 is only available online?

6. Back To Top    #6

You can order it thru this site.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

Went and got a full test kit here are my results.
    Cya: 75
    TC: .5
    FC: .5
    Ph: 8.2
    Alkalinity: 91
    Hardness: 201
    I've purchased some shock treatment. Ph decreaser and alkalinity adjuster. Anything that you could recommend?

8. Back To Top    #8

Where did you get the test kit ?

Jeff

9. Back To Top    #9

Buddy if mine had a tf100. He let me borrow it cuz he hasn't opened his pool yet.

10. Back To Top    #10

CYA is high. FC is way low. PH is a little high also.

Do you know how to use the pool calc ?

Jeff

11. Back To Top    #11

According to my calculation if I'm correct. 4.5 pounds of alkalinity increaser. A pound of ph decreaser and a pound of shock treatment. I'm just unsure of which order I should apply.

12. Back To Top    #12

Your CYA is high. Don't buy any pucks or powders. Liquid chlorine bleach only.

Adjust pH first.

How does the water look? Chlorine is second, but how much is determined by whether or not you need to shock.

Ignore TA for now. TA can be adjusted later.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry