Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New member from Texas

1. Back To Top    #1

New member from Texas

Hi, I have read a lot of the pool school and I am going to have a lot of questions! Our pool was finished 13 months ago, up until this month things have gone fairly easy. The water looks great, but it is stinging the kids eyes. I have a test from my pool builders store from Friday, I am getting another today but these were the numbers.

CYA 151
    Free Chlorine 0 ( they keep saying I have phosphates, I treated that before I started reading this site. I was told you can't hold chlorine with phosphates. I have since shocked the pool and turned up my chlorinator and its seems to be holding fine.)
    PH 8.3
    Total Alk 172
    Adjusted Total Alk 127
    Total Hardness 247

Nothing on the printout about Calcium, is that in the total Hardness? Also, now that I understand CYA isn't this extremely high, they haven't said anything to me about it. I am using acid to lower the ph slowly so that my alk does not fall to low, I have already been down that road. I know this is a lot, but I appreciate any helpful input.
    IG, 22,000 gallons, pebble finish, FNSPlus DE filter (FNSP60), Whisperflo pump 2.5 HP, variable, finished 6-2012, spa, Polaris cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New member from Texas

The Ph of the human eye is 7.3 or 7.4. Go ahead and lower your PH to that range and don't worry about the TA--which is too high anyhow but will drop. Ph is easier to manage at a lower TA. And yes, your CYA is too high. We'd recommend replacing 1/3 of your water ( probably twice) and lower that to manageable levels. See the chlorine/cya chart in pool school. The level of FC to maintain at a minimum for your cya is MUCH higher than for a lower level of it. Mine does pretty well around 50 with pool in full sun. Phosphates are not your problem--that chlorinator is! Calcium is your hardness. Welcome to TFP.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP
    1st thing you need is a good test kit like I have
    I bought the TF-100 test kit because my pooll was green and it has more of the regents you need for testing Free Chlorine
    stay away from the pool store
    They'll just make your problems worst by having you put in chems you don't need or want(like phosphate removers)
    Just use liquid bleach or chlorine for shocking
    Shocking here is a process not a product and it works very well
    some other members with more experience will be by and help you better than I can
    14600gal, In-Ground Fiberglass, Haywood s244t Sand Filter, Jandy Apure35 SWG,
    Haywood 2 speed 1hp pump, Haywood Pool Shark, TF-100 Test Kit http://tftestkits.net/
    Pool School http://www.troublefreepool.com/categ...etting_started
    Never been Pool Stored Thanks to TFP

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the info so far and for the Welcomes! What makes the CYA rise like mine did? Why is the chlorinator a problem?
    IG, 22,000 gallons, pebble finish, FNSPlus DE filter (FNSP60), Whisperflo pump 2.5 HP, variable, finished 6-2012, spa, Polaris cleaner.

5. Back To Top    #5

Using any type of dry chlorine (except cal hypo) adds CYA to the pool. The pool store doesn't want you to know that though. I bet your CYA is higher than what the reading is telling you, anything over 100 gets really hard to accurately measure.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Cuse every time you stick a "puck" in that chlorinator and it dissolves--------guess what it adds besides FC? Flip through pool school a few times. You won't regret it.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

7. Back To Top    #7

It's what you put in the chlorinator that's not good and makes your CYA level rise.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

8. Back To Top    #8

I have new numbers from pool store. I have a kit but it does not have everything on it.
    FC is 3
    CH 200
    CYA 120
    Total Alk 120
    PH 7.4

I drained down my water about two feet this morning. I am in the process of filling it back up. If I want to start using bleach instead of pucks do I just turn the chlorinator off and start? I have read pool school, still unsure of what I'm doing!

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes, just turn off the tablet feeder and leave it off. Have you ordered a test kit?