Never owned a pool but I'd like to

Jun 30, 2013
Hello All,
I am considering buying my first pool. In 2005 I was hurt pretty bad in a motorcycle wreck and have been advised swimming pool exercise would be the best therapy for my injuries. I have been against getting a pool for some time but my hard head has softened lately. Since I am convinced forums are the very best place to go to first when I lack knowledge here I am.
My budget will allow for an above ground pool. I am looking at a 52" 18x33 oval design. The placement of the pool on my property has a slope. I estimate it has a 2 foot fall over 50 feet. I won't be installing the pool. I'll hire an installer to do a turn key job.
Around here the installer with the best reputation sells Ultrada and Radiant pools. The Doughboy dealer has a spotty after the sale reputation. Other dealers I know nothing about sell Kamika and Genesis.
Maybe someone can recommend one of these pools or advise me which ones to stay away from?
I have heard the better pool installer around here sizes the filter and pump well enough to earn the praise of the people who have bought from him. He is good on after the sales issues as well.
I am assuming some of the pool will have to be below grade. I watched some YT videos about this. Some are completely below grade while others are only partly below grade just to achieve level. Do the pools that are partly below grade have to be backfilled, including slurry, like the pools that are completely below grade?
Any other tips, comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Doug

I've read some good reviews on the radiant pool. I'd stay with the installer who has the good rep.

Read pool school to get a good grasp on the chem's and what we teach here. It's all about you taking control. Also I would suggest getting one of the test kits we recommend. The TF-100 is the best and is the one I use. You'll get a discount if you become a lifetime supptor.

Any questions just ask. The only dumb question is the one not asked. Keep us posted on what you decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

I know those Radiants are rated for inground use as are the Doughboys.

I can't offer much on which to go with as it will come down to how much you are willing to lay out.

Sorry to hear about your bike accident. Hubby and I love to ride the Harley. :cool:

Casey said:
I know those Radiants are rated for inground use as are the Doughboys.

I can't offer much on which to go with as it will come down to how much you are willing to lay out.

Sorry to hear about your bike accident. Hubby and I love to ride the Harley. :cool:

My wife and I just came back in from measuring the fall in the ground in several places where we want the pool. The bad news is the fall, at best, is 48 inches over 35 feet. I know how to take ground fall measurements but I don't know if I measured properly for a pool installation. I guess I'll have to have an installer or two look the site over.
I was a bike rider for most of my life with the last 5 year being on Harleys. I was hooked on Harleys after riding mine 500 miles. My wife and I were hit by a drunk on his ninth DUI but still had his driver's license. It sent both of us to the hospital for months. We were blessed to have survived the bike wreck. I lost my lower left leg and nearly my left arm. My wife had similar injuries but the worst news was when the hospital doctors discovered she had 4th stage lung cancer. She fought the bike injuries and the cancer for 13 months before passing away.
The bike crash was a life changing event for me and my family. I don't mean to throw a cold towel on bike riding. I'd like to be back on one myself but a bad crash can take it out of you. What I can say is this. Cherish those you love everyday. You just never know what is around the next turn in the road.
I have since remarried a year ago and my wife is a past pool owner. She has convinced me a pool will do me a lot of good if I use it everyday I can.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.