Pump recommendation & questions

dcrob95

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 8, 2009
Currently I have an approx. 11 year old Pentair Whisperflo WFE-26, 1.5 hp, 1.1 service factor pump that started making some noise at the end of last season and it was doing ok so far this season until recently and now it has become very loud. I'm leading toward just replacing the whole pump with a 2 speed pump. Is there much of a difference in the Whisperflo and Superflo pumps? It looks like the superflo 1.5 hp is about $200 less than the whisperflo, or at least it is here: http://www.poolsupplyunlimited.com/best ... 0043/69112.

Am I correct in thinking that since the pump motor has the high/low switch built into it that I wouldn't have to deal with any additional electrical work? Should it be simple to just disconnect wiring from the pump that is currently there and attach it to the new pump? Or is there something else I may possibly need to install it besides plumbing related items?

Thanks for any help & advice!

The Superflo are smaller pumps than the Whisperflo ... do you have any high flow needs that would require the larger pump?

If not, I would recommend 1 hp 2 speed Superflo. It comes with unions to attach the plumbing and a speed switch. I do not think the Whisperflo comes with a switch installed.

With the switch, the install is basically like a single speed pump.

I've added a signature to show what we have, but we do have a spa that overflows into the pool. So with the spa, I don't think I'd want to drop down to a 1 hp from the current 1.5 hp I currently have. Would a 1.5 hp Superflo would be sufficient for my needs?

Thanks for the help and advice you all have given me. I've decided to go with the WFDS-26. Poolsupplyworld had a pretty good price to me with free shipping and a $20 off code. Hopefully it'll get here quick and my current pump will keep running until then. The pool/pump is about 80 feet from our house and I can now hear the pump running with the doors and windows closed!

I do not think that the Whisperflo come with a switch built in. You can either order a different rear motor cover that has a switch on it. Or just wire in a 3-way light switch between the timer and the motor.

I have ordered a switch also. My pump died this morning as I heard it running and then before I left the house I noticed that it was quiet outside. Fortunately the new pump is on the fedex truck for delivery today so hopefully I can at least get started on intalling it tonight.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good news and bad news with the install. Good news: pump is plumbed & wired and is running!
Bad news: 1. the pump doesn't change speed when I move the switch... there were only 3 wires connected to the old motor, line 1 line 2 and the ground. It looked simple enough to me to hook up the new pump, I connected 1 wire to the terminal 1, 1 wire to terminal 2. The toggle switch on the new pump motor has a yellow and a white wire already connected to the motor and a black wire that is capped and doesn't connect to anything.

and 2. not sure if it could hopefully be related to #1 above, but my SWG isn't turning on. I'm not sure if the pump is on low or high speed, it is very quiet, but then again anything would seem quiet with the noise the old one was making since last year. The SWG is wired to come on when the pump is running. Will I need to rewire the SWG with the 2 speed pump now hooked up? I'm hoping it didn't get fried somehow when the old pump died. There apparently is a fuse on the circuit board that I'll check in the a.m.

I just ran out in the dark and looked at the wiring diagram again and took a pic which I'm attaching. It looks to me like I need to uncap the black wire coming from the toggle switch and connect it to the one of the powered lines coming in. Am I missing anything else?

Attachments

• new pump pic (640x480).jpg
    new pump pic (640x480).jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 54
You have to put line 1 to the common terminal and line 2 to the center of the switch (likely the black wire). The the 2 other wires off the switch connect to the high and low terminals.

The SWG power should not be affected by the pump wiring. Could be that they pump is on low and there is not enough flow? But that would really surprise me since you have a Whisperflo.

All is well with the pump and SWG now. With the toggle switch wired correctly the pump does what it's supposed to do. The SWG just had a blown fuse so now that's working. Now I'll have to move on to the other problems sometime soon in a new post, regarding my spa blower and the heater not working which also haven't been working since last year. We really don't use the heater or spa much, but would be nice to have it working for those rare times we would like to. Thanks again for your help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.