IntelliFlo VF and when to backwash

jtech1

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 9, 2009
I have an IntelliFlo VF and Quad DE 100 filter on my 32K gal pool. Definitly oversized for my pool... but was hoping to go longer between backwash. Right after plastered and filled I was running it on highest speed and saw the pressure on filter go up and time to backwash... but now that I have it on regular cycle, 50 gpm, the pressure never seems to go up. For a variable speed pump, what is the proper flow rate to assess filter pressure drop? Do I need to run the pump on a short cycle at higher rate to properly evaluate filter backwash time? On average, how often should I need to backwash? 1 week? 2 weeks, etc? Also, aside from backwash, how often should I have to actually take the filter apart and clean the 4 cartridges inside?

The key thing is to always use the same speed (in RPM). Also, it shouldn't be too low of a speed, try at least 2000 RPM. If you are using a flow rate based speed, the pump can tell you when it is time to backwash.

The first week or two with a freshly plastered pool tends to involve lots and lots of plaster dust, which can clog the filter fairly quickly.

Once everything settles down, and assuming you don't get algae, you should only need to backwash/clean the filter two or three times per season.

Cool... that makes sense.... my PB did the first backwash on day 2 after plaster... tons of junk and the pressure was up. I did it about 4 days later... now over two weeks have passed and the pressure has not gone up... flowing 50 gpm. I just wanted to make sure I did not have a bad gauge. Is it recommended to install additional gauges on the input side of the tank inline? If so, is there one that works best?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.