Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Shocking with a SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

Shocking with a SWG

I have an algae problem I need to get rid of. I have read the how to on how to do this but first have a question on whether I can get away without shocking (more curiosity than anything, and saves me a trip to the pool store)

I have a 19,000 gal vinyl pool and a SWG for a 45,000 pool. I normally run it on 10-20%

I saw some cloudiness on Friday and kicked it up to 100%. Yesterday I did a set of tests, numbers are below:

FC 10ppm
    TA 80
    CYA 70
    PH 7.8
    no CC

I had the SWG running at 100% all day, this morning my FC is up to 14 ppm, with no CC. If I just keep running the SWG until I get about 20 ppm will that do what I need for the algae, or is too slow of an increase? I read in the how to that a SWG will not get the chlorine high enough slowly, I just don't understand if I can get my FC up high enough that will be good enough.

19,000 gallon
    1 HP Hayward pump

2. Back To Top    #2
    Elverson Pa.

Re: Shocking with a SWG

It might work if the algae hasn't taken a good grip.the prob is it can't keep up with the demand Other wise turn it off and get some bleach or 12.5% liquid chlorine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Spring, TX

From what I have read on the site, when you have a SWG and need to shock, you should turn it off and shock with normal bleach until you are done. This will prevent from burning out the cell on the SWG.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4
    Silver Spring, MD

A SWG is designed to add chlorine slowly and uniformly. Shocking requires raising the FC level as quickly as possible. When shocking you should add chlorine manually to achieve your shock level target. During shocking, you can use the SWG to supplement manual chlorine additions, but not to replace them.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School