Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool flooded - sparkling oasis turned into muddy pond

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool flooded - sparkling oasis turned into muddy pond

We had a bad storm here on Friday night and my pool got flooded. Since then I am running the pump 24h. Unfortunately I do not see much progress in getting it clean.
    Please see attached pic.

I am adding Dicalite filter powder to my sand filter every time I need to backwash. Back washing is necessary every 2h with the powder as the is no water coming out of return, which I guess is a good sign as it tells me that the filter is picking up the small sediments of the mud. Without the powder the pump runs over 12h without the pressure going up. So I guess the powder method is more efficient to clear it up. But again running it since 1.5 days non stop and it is still a muddy pond with very little sign of removing the mud.

Also I shocked it just to be save and switched the salt system off.

I do have two pickups deep end and skimmer. I switched most of the skimmer off. Thought that would help as the mud is probably below the surface. Also I do have a robot which I haven't utilized yet to fight the mud.

I am thankful for every advise as I wanted to get it clean as soon as possible.

Hayward 1.5HP pump, Sandfilter, Hayward Turbo cell, Glass fiber pool.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    22000 gallon fiber glass Pool, 1HP Hayward pump , Sandfilter, Goldline T-15 SWG,
    Home brew coil Solar System http://builditsolar.com/Projects/Poo...ol_heating.htm,
    TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool flooded - sparkling oasis turned into muddy pond

This may be one of the rare times a clarifier makes sense. What are your test results?
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

3. Back To Top    #3

Try the robot and see how it does. This is prob going to take some time. POP !

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Have you tried turning the pump off for a while to see if some of the dirt will settle to the bottom so you can vacuum it out? It's worth a try.
    AG 18' X 52" Round Pacifica Pool w/ Metal Diamond Unibead Liner. Installed in March 2007.
    2.5 HP Baquapure 2 Speed Pump, 200 GPM Waterway ProClean Cartridge Filter System.

Former Baquacil user
    Converted to BBB in Fall of 2009 - Now I have a truly trouble free pool!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha_in_AL
    Have you tried turning the pump off for a while to see if some of the dirt will settle to the bottom so you can vacuum it out? It's worth a try.
    Exactly what I did when we got it with a big storm. No pump for 12 hours, then most settled to floor. Vacuum to waste very slowly so your not stirring back up.
    Then shock process.
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by 4knights
    Quote Originally Posted by Samantha_in_AL
    Exactly what I did when we got it with a big storm. No pump for 12 hours, then most settled to floor. Vacuum to waste very slowly so your not stirring back up.
    Then shock process.
    A storm blew a flower pot into our pool a couple of years. This method worked great for me.
    AG 18' X 52" Round Pacifica Pool w/ Metal Diamond Unibead Liner. Installed in March 2007.
    2.5 HP Baquapure 2 Speed Pump, 200 GPM Waterway ProClean Cartridge Filter System.

Former Baquacil user
    Converted to BBB in Fall of 2009 - Now I have a truly trouble free pool!

7. Back To Top    #7

I vote for the let it settle then vacuum method, assuming it works.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

Oh Man! Hope you have some luck getting it to settle. I like the idea too. Let us know what happens.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

9. Back To Top    #9

OH MAN! I see some type of retaining wall in the future? Keep us posted!
    20,000 gal. 27' AGP
    Hayward 18" sand filter with 1 hp Hayward Matrix pump
    A convinced BBB user and TFP fan

10. Back To Top    #10

How exactly did the flooding occur?
    Does this happen often?

Have you seen these long tubes that you circle a house with to keep it from flooding, they are filled with water. Probably cost a fortune, but i see they have them on the small side at only 1' tall.....

Check this out http://www.aquadam.com/index.htm

http://www.aquadam.net/RefMaterials/Aqu ... ations.pdf
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

11. Back To Top    #11

Can ya drain a fibreglass pool? I don't think I'd have enough POP for that to clear.
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

I don't think you want to drain a pool after a flood. The ground water level will be very high and you will float the pool right out of the ground.

If you have a way to vacuum to waste, I agree you should raise the chlorine level, then shut down the pump, let. It settle then vacuum to waste. If not, just keep plugging away.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

13. Back To Top    #13

Hi Guys, first of all thanks for all your advise.
    I shut down the pump for about 36h to see if it settles.
    Unfortunately negative. I didn't see much improvement.
    Vision is about 1 foot from surface. Not much settled. red clay here in NC. Its almost like a dye.
    I am losing patience. Will go back to filtration with DE.
    See if that helps.
    I am concerned about draining it because of the potential ground water issue.

Keep you guys posted.

And Yes I will definitely add some sort of retaining wall or french drain system to protect my pool in the future.
    22000 gallon fiber glass Pool, 1HP Hayward pump , Sandfilter, Goldline T-15 SWG,
    Home brew coil Solar System http://builditsolar.com/Projects/Poo...ol_heating.htm,
    TF-100 test kit

14. Back To Top    #14

Looks to me like you will have a fun week of DE babysitting. Good luck .

I know my DE filters fast but when dirty requires a lot of attention.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

15. Back To Top    #15

I think if you throw a sump pump in the bottom and try a couple partial refills it could help. And or maybe a floc then vacuum? Not sure about the floc though because I never used it before, I just know what it is supposed to do. More pics please.
    20,000 gal. 27' AGP
    Hayward 18" sand filter with 1 hp Hayward Matrix pump
    A convinced BBB user and TFP fan

16. Back To Top    #16

Flour sack towels or cotton socks on the returns? No clue if it would work, but people talk about catching metals that way.
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

17. Back To Top    #17

You might try a slime bag or two on your returns. They work wonders on fine, fine, silt here. If you try a clarifier, I would test it in a bucket of pool water first.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

18. Back To Top    #18

Update:
    Pool is sparkling since 2 weeks again. I just wanted to share my experience to help the next person that gets something like that.

a) I tried cleaning up the mess by running the pump 24h for a couple days added DE to improve the filtering, but that didn't help. -> fail
    b) Tried clarifier -> fail
    c) Tried flocking -> fail

Realized that there is no quick solution when dealing with dirt. You need lots of POP.
    Even called pool store and they said that they had 6 model pools flooded and the only thing that helps is switch off the pump and wait till it settles and then vacuum to waste.

d) Switched off pump and waited a solid 2 days until I used the vacuum for the first time. It took that long for the stuff to settle. I was dealing with very fine sediment type dirt. Also the vision at that time was about 10 inches from top. So I was vacuum in the dark as I couldn't see the bottom.
    e) Waited another 1.5 to 2 days. Then I was able to see the bottom on the shallow end. Vacuum to waste again.
    f) Waited another 1.5 to 2 days. Saw bottom on deep end. But also was dealing with algae at that time. So vision was blurry from green algae. Final vac to waste.
    g) Shocking and running pump again 24h for a couple days. Used DE and back washed regular.

Hope this will help somebody in the future with a similar problem.
    Thanks for all the advise from you guys.
    TF-100 test kit

19. Back To Top    #19

Good for you and congrats on being sparkling again.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links: