Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Top soil in pool causing brown staining

1. Back To Top    #1

Freeport, Bahamas

Top soil in pool causing brown staining

We are building in the Bahamas and the property is still under construction as far as landscaping etc. When the pool was constructed and filled the surrounding areas were still not grassed. The top soil that has been laid down has been blowing into the pool and as I don't yet have an auto pool cleaner I have been sweeping and letting the skimmers and drains do the best part of the cleaning. We are coming into rainy season and the winds are constantly blowing mud and debris into the pool and it is now causing brown staining. Could this be a form of rust if there are metal properties in the soils? How can I clean it up? Do I have to empty the pool to carry out any work?

17,000gal IG, Diamond Bright finish, Ecostar SP3400VSP, Hayward Starclear plus C900 90sqft Cartridge filter, Aquarite SWG with T-9 Cell, Built/Completed May 2013

2. Back To Top    #2

Flower Mound, TX

Re: Top soil in pool causing brown staining

Welcome to TFP!

It's probably just organic stains from the pool. Best way to tell is to let a chlorine tablet sit on the stain for a few minutes. If the stain lightens, it is organic and will go away with shocking or a couple of days of proper chlorination. If it doesn't go away, then it is possibly metals. Metal stains will lighten when exposed to vitamin C. Scrape a vitamin C tablet on the stain and if it lightens, it's metals.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT