Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Husband the Pool Snob

1. Back To Top    #1

My Husband the Pool Snob

I just have to tell this story. We went on our little mini vacation this past week. We stayed in a pretty nice hotel in Hot Springs. My husband went down to the pool area, which is indoors, because the smoking area was located just outside this area.

When he came back in the room, he said,"I'm not swimming in that water. It's cloudy and the chlorine smell is so strong! That water is nasty! I will wait until we get back home to swim."

I said, "Hubby, you are now officially a BBB pool snob!"

Then yesterday my brother-in-law calls because he has a green pool. I have previously explained the BBB process to him and also explained that shocking a pool is a process not a product. Well, I followed my directions for about 2 hours and that's it. Well needless to say, he still has a green pool. My husband tells him, "My wife can come over and clear that pool up for you with just bleach and your water can look like ours."

When I first found this site last year and used the same method again this year, my husband was a doubter. Well now he is a BBB Believer!!!!!
    24 ft. round ABG-vinyl-15200 gallon
    Sand Filter w/1 1/2 HP pump
    Installed May 2011
    Taylor K-2006 test kit
    BBB method

http://www.poolcalculator.com/
    pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock
    pool-school/shocking_your_pool
    pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My Husband the Pool Snob

Congratulations is about the best I can say. Isn't it great? Love the story!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Yep, so many people equate strong chlorine smell to clean pool water. Once you learn the truth though, you will always find yourself being critical of public pools.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Nice post, pm67.

Many of us think of ourselves as pool nerds, but "pool snob" sorta' elevates our status a bit......or does it?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Congrats !! Like a BOSS !!

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

I'll take the pool snob thank you.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

I see no reason to apologize for pool snobbery. I've earned the right by diligently spending several minutes a week maintaining the water chemistry.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

I consider myself a pool snob since stumbling on this website. I went on vacation last year and refused to get in the hotel's pool or hot tub. They both had a strong smell of chlorine and were slightly cloudy. I tried to tell my friends not go in , but they said "The bleach smell means they are killing what is growing" . I tried to explain, but it went in one ear and out the other.
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

9. Back To Top    #9

I won't swim in hotel pools.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

10. Back To Top    #10

+1 to that!
    14K gallon IG pool with waterfall and separate 730 gallon IG spa built in 2002, Tahoe Blue Pebble Tec, 1.5 HP Pentair WhisperFlo, (2) 2 HP Pentair WhisperFlo booster pump (one each for spa and waterfall), Pentair FNS Plus 60 sq ft DE filter, Pentair Mini Max Plus 400 heater, Intellichlor IC40 SWCG, Easy Touch Wireless Control, Hayward Navigator Pro Pool Vac.

11. Back To Top    #11

So if I use the Taylor thing that stirs the water in the test tube am a snob plus? Since we are in the pool only on the weekends here and it is covered all the time, I might go outside and test it every other day but it still takes me more than seven minutes a week!! Guess I need to get it together.....

Bob E.

12. Back To Top    #12

No Bob, you will be a Pool Geek/Test Kit Snob with a Speed Stir.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Safetybob
    So if I use the Taylor thing that stirs the water in the test tube am a snob plus? Since we are in the pool only on the weekends here and it is covered all the time, I might go outside and test it every other day but it still takes me more than seven minutes a week!! Guess I need to get it together.....

Bob E.
    Don't kick yourself too bad...you'll get faster with time.

Take heart knowing that it would take longer than that just to get rang up at the pool store.

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Quote Originally Posted by Safetybob

Bob E.
    Don't kick yourself too bad...you'll get faster with time.

Take heart knowing that it would take longer than that just to get rang up at the pool store.

......and there's no need for pants either.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Leebo
    ......and there's no need for pants either.
    Whew! I thought I was the only one....
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

16. Back To Top    #16

Home is said to be where the pants AREN'T ya know.

17. Back To Top    #17

I prefer "Connoisseur" to snob, I feel the pool store guys are the snobs that think there way is "the" way.

Did vacation a week in Sanibel and DID swim in a very large crystal clear pool that only smelled of salt. Not sure if it was BBB or not, but at least they knew how to make clear water! Did make me not want to convert to SWG, even a little salt odor bothered me compared to my no-smell clear pool.
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    48 PentAir DE Filter with backwash valve
    PentAir Whisperflo pump with 1hp 2-speed motor
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    Intermatic Dual Timeclock with freezeguard
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB

18. Back To Top    #18

I have a salt water pool and there is no smell at all
    Maybe it was a real saltwater pool
    I swam in one in Maine years ago
    they pumped in water from the ocean for the pool
    14600gal, In-Ground Fiberglass, Haywood s244t Sand Filter, Jandy Apure35 SWG,
    Haywood 2 speed 1hp pump, Haywood Pool Shark, TF-100 Test Kit http://tftestkits.net/
    Pool School http://www.troublefreepool.com/categ...etting_started
    Never been Pool Stored Thanks to TFP

19. Back To Top    #19

I had to smile tonight when my wife came home from swimming at a friends and was worried about her suit. She stated that the water "smelled like chlorine and her eye's were burning big time". She asked if she should wash her suit before getting in the clean water at her parents house.

20. Back To Top    #20

I went swimming in the pool at the Grand Californian at Disneyland. I know my pool at home was much cleaner than the one I swam in and I had not looked at it in a week. It smelled like chlorine, was slightly cloudy and didn't feel right. I swam because DD begged her daddy to swim with her. The pools at the DL hotel looked (and smelled) much better but I wasn't swimming there.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast