Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex 1,600 gph sand filter motor bearings

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex 1,600 gph sand filter motor bearings

Ok a week or 2 ago my pump motor got loud and then died. I have a 1,500gph cartridge filter to use as a backup but its a lot weaker than the 1,600 pump so yesterday I tore the 1,600 pump apart and my first thought was bent shaft, but then I noticed the shaft was fine. So I used some carb and choke cleaner and cleaned the motor up. It works fine for now but I need to replace the bearings.

I could tear it down and measure them but I'm hoping someone on here can give me the correct bearing size? I'm sure I can safely replace them.

I wonder if the 1,500 bearings would work? I plan on selling the 1,500 so I don't want to tear it apart for nothing.
    Intex Ultra frame 16x48
    Intex 1600GPH Sand Filter
    Taylor K-2005 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intex 1,600 gph sand filter motor bearings

I don't remember anyone tearing one apart and reporting what the bearing size is. If you find out, it would be nice to post it for someone in the future.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    I don't remember anyone tearing one apart and reporting what the bearing size is. If you find out, it would be nice to post it for someone in the future.
    Well I tore the 1,500 GPH pump apart and it doesnt have bearings. So that answers my question on if I could just swap over the bearing.

I think my 1,600 sand filter pump over heated so Im going to tear it down and see if I can get some new bearings in it. I will try to make a tutorial with pics s I cant find anything on the subject of replacing intex bearings. I would think its possible from what I seen well I had it apart last night.

I can tell that they use cheap bearings and from googling my issue it looks like many of these pumps have been replaced when the bearings go. I would rather save a few bucks and just replace the bearings with quality bearings.
    Intex Ultra frame 16x48
    Taylor K-2005 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Well pulled it apart and sure enough the front bearing is shot.

I got a bunch of pics for a tutorial.

The bearing is marked C&U 608Z seems like I should be able to find them hopefully I have something in my junk pile I can salvage 1 from to get it running until I can order a new set.

EDIT: The bearing is found in most rollerblades and skates. Luckily my son had an old pair of heelys that I was able to use the bearings from.

Tutorial with pics coming at some point this week.

These bearings can be had for 2 bucks way cheaper then buying a whole new setup...
    Intex Ultra frame 16x48
    Taylor K-2005 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Skate bearings. Who'd have thought?

Thanks for the info! I've got 3 boxes of 6 that I bought intending to use for a linear slide for a home made tool. Maybe I should just keep them on hand.....
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

Great find! Thanks for the info which I will remember but hopefully never need.
    18'x 52" Intex Ultra Frame AG pool
    7100 gallons
    1600 Intex sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    BBB method for four seasons
    Former 18' Easy Set owner