Pool Light and Remote Shutoff

blacknoir

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 11, 2013
Minnesota
I didn't see a lot of posts about pool lights so I thought I'd mention that I picked up an Intex LED Pool Light, the magnetic one, and that sucker puts out some nice light! Easily bright enough to light up a large pool. If you're a new pool owner I recommend it.

I am curious however if old school pool owners use a remote or timer to shut off their pool lights? I thought about installing an outlet with a built in timer but I think I'd rather just have a remote. I really don't need the light to turn on every single night so a remote would be better. I haven't checked around yet to find one but I glanced around at HD and didn't see an outdoor remote shutoff so if anyone has a recommendation feel free to pass it along.

I got two of these kits at Home Depot. I found them in the seasonal section up front when all of the Christmas stuff is there. It says discontinued but maybe it'll come back as seasonal again. I'm sure you can find something like it somewhere else.

I use them to run my Christmas lights as well as a fountain on the patio and a big floor lamp behind the sofa in the living room. The ones outside have been used and rained on for 2 years now and still work perfectly.

3 button remote

The home depot Christmas light control setup would be perfect for what you want to do. No need to go to crazyville on this. Keeping it simple and inexpensive AND replaceable makes alot of sense.

Now on the other hand, if you like to impress yourself with your EE skills, go get an outdoor rated box and a Macromatic TR-61622 time delay relay and a momentary push button switch, then you can make it so you can program you lights alot like many cities do with practice field lighting......that is, you press the button and the lights come on for 2 hours. That's what I have just about finished.

Obviously I need a new hobby or need to get out more because certainly the HD remote control thing would have done it really nicely for a whole lot less money....

Bob E.

If I wanted to impress myself with my EE/CS skills I'd build a waterproof box with a arduino and some rgb led's and code something that would do a display based on tunes playing on my ipod.. but I gotta build a deck first so that might not happen.. ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I went z-wave for my timers. Last weekend we did some rewiring and I now have the pump and SWG controlled by z-wave. We went away for 4 days for the holiday, and my biggest concern was the power going out which would trip the pump and then coming home to a nice green pool. So we added a GFCI outlet, removed the GFCI from the pump and SWG, and used the z-wave modules to control the pump and swg. Now the pump won't trip when the power goes out (or the timer shuts it off) and I can check in on them to make sure they are running and also control them with my phone. We are currently building a house, so I have even more plans for lights and whatnot once we move that I'm also going to control with z-wave.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.