Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Light and Remote Shutoff

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Light and Remote Shutoff

I didn't see a lot of posts about pool lights so I thought I'd mention that I picked up an Intex LED Pool Light, the magnetic one, and that sucker puts out some nice light! Easily bright enough to light up a large pool. If you're a new pool owner I recommend it.

I am curious however if old school pool owners use a remote or timer to shut off their pool lights? I thought about installing an outlet with a built in timer but I think I'd rather just have a remote. I really don't need the light to turn on every single night so a remote would be better. I haven't checked around yet to find one but I glanced around at HD and didn't see an outdoor remote shutoff so if anyone has a recommendation feel free to pass it along.
    --- Pool Status - Ice Cube
    18'x9'x52" Intex Rectangular Pool with Krystal Clear 2560gpm Sand Pump and Krystal Clear Salt Water System
    Hayward Skimmer with (2) 1 1/2" Hayward Returns
    16mil Klear Choice Solar Blanket

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Light and Remote Shutoff

if i remember correctly my remote for my fan/lights was fairly cheap. cheap enough I wouldnt hesitate to throw it in a bag to keep it dry.

your idea is a pretty good, a remote. I like it.
    30,000 gallon IGP 20 x 40 with 4ft round Spa
    Hayward 2420 D.E. filter
    Pool Pilot Digital Nano 75040 SCG with CoPilot Ozonator3
    Haywars Superpump 1.5HP pump

Pool is outside on Long Island, NY and opened May 20th

3. Back To Top    #3

I have two of those Intex magnetic lights on my 18' Ultra Frame. It is very well lit I plugged both of them into a standard timer that cycles them every night. I love seeing the pool light up at 8:30!
    18'x 52" Intex Ultra Frame AG pool
    7100 gallons
    1600 Intex sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    BBB method for four seasons
    Former 18' Easy Set owner

4. Back To Top    #4

Just got this remote shutoff today and it works great!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001Q9 ... UTF8&psc=1
    18'x9'x52" Intex Rectangular Pool with Krystal Clear 2560gpm Sand Pump and Krystal Clear Salt Water System

5. Back To Top    #5

Wow, that's awesome for only 10 bucks!
    18'x 52" Intex Ultra Frame AG pool
    7100 gallons
    1600 Intex sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    BBB method for four seasons
    Former 18' Easy Set owner

6. Back To Top    #6

I got two of these kits at Home Depot. I found them in the seasonal section up front when all of the Christmas stuff is there. It says discontinued but maybe it'll come back as seasonal again. I'm sure you can find something like it somewhere else.

I use them to run my Christmas lights as well as a fountain on the patio and a big floor lamp behind the sofa in the living room. The ones outside have been used and rained on for 2 years now and still work perfectly.

3 button remote
    Intex UltraFrame 14'x48in - 3,900 gallons. Intex 1600 GPH combo Sand Filter/SWG Hard Plumbed w/Hayward skimmer, suction & return. Borates.
    And... 15k gallon kidney shaped gunite 1975 vintage. Hayward DE3620 filter + Hayward 750 pump.
    TF100 Test Kit | Pool School | Pool Math

7. Back To Top    #7

The home depot Christmas light control setup would be perfect for what you want to do. No need to go to crazyville on this. Keeping it simple and inexpensive AND replaceable makes alot of sense.

Now on the other hand, if you like to impress yourself with your EE skills, go get an outdoor rated box and a Macromatic TR-61622 time delay relay and a momentary push button switch, then you can make it so you can program you lights alot like many cities do with practice field lighting......that is, you press the button and the lights come on for 2 hours. That's what I have just about finished.

Obviously I need a new hobby or need to get out more because certainly the HD remote control thing would have done it really nicely for a whole lot less money....

Bob E.

8. Back To Top    #8

Sometimes it's fun to do it,just because you can.
    Rob

Cozumel AGP 24' 14,700 gallons
    Pentair Dynamo 1.5 hp pump
    Sta-rite Cristol-Flo II 2.3sq.ft. sand filter
    SWCG,Uni-bead liner
    Borates
    TF-100 Testkit....$68,cheap insurance for a trouble free pool season

9. Back To Top    #9

If I wanted to impress myself with my EE/CS skills I'd build a waterproof box with a arduino and some rgb led's and code something that would do a display based on tunes playing on my ipod.. but I gotta build a deck first so that might not happen..

10. Back To Top    #10

That remote is an excellent idea. I too use one for Christmas lights and it is super convenient.
    5,061 gallon Intex Ultra Frame 16x48 Saltwater Krystal Clear
    Softub 280

11. Back To Top    #11

I went z-wave for my timers. Last weekend we did some rewiring and I now have the pump and SWG controlled by z-wave. We went away for 4 days for the holiday, and my biggest concern was the power going out which would trip the pump and then coming home to a nice green pool. So we added a GFCI outlet, removed the GFCI from the pump and SWG, and used the z-wave modules to control the pump and swg. Now the pump won't trip when the power goes out (or the timer shuts it off) and I can check in on them to make sure they are running and also control them with my phone. We are currently building a house, so I have even more plans for lights and whatnot once we move that I'm also going to control with z-wave.
    16'x48" Intex Ultra Frame Pool
    Intex 2650gph Sand Filter Pump
    Intex SWG

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by blacknoir View Post
    Just got this remote shutoff today and it works great!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001Q9 ... UTF8&psc=1
    I know this is an old thread but made this purchase just now.... I'm so happy I found this forum!!