Intex 1600 pump station and sand filter - VERY LOW PSI

We installed a new 20x54 ultra frame by Intex. It came with a pump and sand filter. When we first set up about 4 weeks ago the psi was almost to the yellow on the gauge. Yesterday afternoon it dropped to about 2 psi. I back washed and rinsed. But today it is still at 2 psi. I did notice that the flow from the return seemed less turbulent than before. Is something wrong with the sand filter or the pump? I am thinking it is sucking air somewhere and not building up the pressure?

Meezerocity said:
We installed a new 20x54 ultra frame by Intex. It came with a pump and sand filter. When we first set up about 4 weeks ago the psi was almost to the yellow on the gauge. Yesterday afternoon it dropped to about 2 psi. I back washed and rinsed. But today it is still at 2 psi. I did notice that the flow from the return seemed less turbulent than before. Is something wrong with the sand filter or the pump? I am thinking it is sucking air somewhere and not building up the pressure?
You have a restriction in the suction side or you're sucking air.

Is there a strainer basket to clean out before the pump? Maybe it needs cleaning. If it's an air leak: [center:1bhbuqi5]Round up the usual suspects: low water level, stuck weir in the skimmer, loose drain plugs on the
pump, poor seal on the pump strainer basket, and leaks at the fittings, especially any couplings.
[youtube:1bhbuqi5]vtSmfws0_To[/youtube:1bhbuqi5][/center:1bhbuqi5]

I checked for air leaks. Reset all couplings and the skimmer basket housing to be sure. I'm not sure how to check a stuck weir in the pump. Can you explain that to me? The pump is making more noise than I remember in the beginning. Could the pump be bad so soon after purchase?

I had a very similar issue last year, do you have a lot of tree debris and pine needles getting into your pool? My impeller? I think that's what it's called, was all clogged up and if you unscrew the hose that comes out of the pump and goes to the sand filter there is a plastic strainer that always gets clogged up on me, so I pulled mine out.

Edit: if you do have a tree debris issue I can walk you through pulling it apart and cleaning it out. I will be posting a tutorial with pics either tonight or tomorrow on changing the bearing so you will be able to see how easy these are to work on. It was my first time and it went nice and smooth and now my pump is quieter than is was new and it seems to have a bit more power

Lots of tree debris from our very large Live Oak. No natural growing pine trees in San Antonio! I think the squirrels are knocking the dead twigs off the oak. Also we have had a few days of strong wind and have had leaves and grass which I have never seen in the pool in the last 4 years. Almost like someone grabbed a few hand fills of debris from the lawn clippings and organic compost pile.
Do you have the same pump?

Yes the same pump. I will try my best to explain how to clean out the debris that is likely causing your low pressure.

First you need to shut off both the inlet and outlet on the pool.
Then put the pump in the closed position, I don't know if its necessary but i did it anyways.
Take the cover off of the leaf basket
Disconnect the hoses from the pump and open the valve at the bottom of the leaf basket to release the water that's still in it.
Remove the plastic nut that holds the leaf basket onto the pump.
remove the leaf basket from the pump.
Take the pump and set it on something that will make it easier to work on.
You should be looking at something like this from the front

as you can see in the pic I already have 1 screw out. Remove all the screws from the front as seen in the pic, and be careful there are nuts in the back of each one.
Once you have the screws off you pull the part off. Now you should be looking at the impeller.

Mine is clean in the pic but yours most likely has debris in it, just pull out any debris with a pair of needle nose pliers or your fingers which ever works better for you.
well it apart make sure to clean any debris out of the outlet of the pump. mine use top get so clogged up in that 1 area that i would have to blow it out with a hose.
Now just reassemble and reinstall. hope that helps you!

Edit: My outlet strainer thing was always clogging so I removed it by prying it out with a screwdriver. I don't see it causing any harm as anything that gets through will eventually get back washed out which is easier to do then tearing it apart to clean it all the time.So i dont confuse you or mislead you the part circled in black is where i had to remove a strainer from to cut back on tear downs.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I open the pump today as suggested. There was debris stuck in the impeller. I cleared it and replaced the cover. When I hooked it back up to the pool it sounded like it did when we first installed and the PSI retuned to where it was close to yellow but still in green.

I decided to reconnect the SWG after cleaning it with vinegar. After all the connections were made I opened all the water valves and flipped the switch on the pump. At first it made an electrical hum. I turned it off. Turned back on and it did it again. I rechecked all the water valves. Everything open and ready. Flipped the pump switch again and no sound at all.

I checked my electrical connection. Reset the GFI on the pump power cord and check the SWG for power. All electrical is working.

Do I have a lemon pump?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 233
Meezerocity said:
I open the pump today as suggested. There was debris stuck in the impeller. I cleared it and replaced the cover. When I hooked it back up to the pool it sounded like it did when we first installed and the PSI retuned to where it was close to yellow but still in green.

I decided to reconnect the SWG after cleaning it with vinegar. After all the connections were made I opened all the water valves and flipped the switch on the pump. At first it made an electrical hum. I turned it off. Turned back on and it did it again. I rechecked all the water valves. Everything open and ready. Flipped the pump switch again and no sound at all.

I checked my electrical connection. Reset the GFI on the pump power cord and check the SWG for power. All electrical is working.

Do I have a lemon pump?
Mechanic's rule of themb: the last thing you worked on is the first thing that breaks. Since it hums, it's not a power issue. I'd say pull it apart and see if there isn't more debris caught in there, maybe preventing the impeller from spinning.

I removed the basket and could not see any more debris. The impeller turned freely in both directions. I plugged it in and it made moved the water inside the pump. I reinstalled to be pool and opened the valves. Flipped the switch. Thought it was priming. But it did not move water. Now it won't make any noise at all again.

34377300.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.