Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ducks in the pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Ducks in the pool

Hi,
    I have ducks constantly visiting my pool.
    I was in a pool store and they recommended a product that helps. It really helps, but I must put the product in the pool every week, and sometimes even after 2-3 days the ducks come back.
    In another store, the seller recommended me to put a plastic crocodille in the pool. I did and it doesn't help. The ducks just swim together with the crocodille.
    Does somebody have any idea how to handle it?
    Any experience about it.

Thanks a lot for the help.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ducks in the pool

Yes get one of those plastic owl decoys!!!! They are used for this reason to scare off pesky birds...i would just set it on the edge of pool or close to it.....

18ft 52in deep doughboy 8000 gallons
    22 in sand filter
    1 1/2 pump
    tk-2006 test kit that rocks!
    12.5% chlorine
    aqua critter vac

3. Back To Top    #3

Really? Won't it be the same as the crocodille?
    Have you ever used it before successfully (or know about somebody that did)?
    Thanks for your reply.

4. Back To Top    #4

Do a search for this "Contech CRO101 Scarecrow Motion Activated Sprinkler" should be able to get this for under $50.
    Screen enclosed 17K gal 16x30 IG with Diamond Brite finish, elevated 4 jet spa with spill over, Twin dolphin fountain, Hayward Ecostar pump[ Pentair intelliflo VS, Filter Sta rite Posi-Flo PTM 100, Aqua Cal heat pump, Tiger Shark QC robotic cleaner.
    Stenner peristaltic pump model 45MPHP10, 15 gal storage tank. TF 100 with Speed Stir.

5. Back To Top    #5

It seems interesting! I will try.
    Thanks.

6. Back To Top    #6

some folks have had success stringing fishing line in a mesh across the pool.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

I HAD some ducks too, turned out they were nesting in a neighbors yard, the courting lasted about 3 weeks then they were gone.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Eat them

9. Back To Top    #9

Mmm, smoked duck! Call elmer fudd. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Some people have success with the crocodile. Don't know about the owl. Ducks are pretty nasty.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

Local gun store sells a few things that should work

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

I did the owl thing. it worked well.....for the ducks! It gave them a great place to sit and poop on. They eventually turned a nice white color

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

Get a dog. LOL
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

13. Back To Top    #13

Don't feed the ducks. I have pretty extensive experience here... since I've seen The Sopranos.

tony-and-the-ducks.jpg

The Sopranos: Tony and the Ducks - Blog by LeCambrioleur - IGN
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

14. Back To Top    #14

Anyone try this?

13K Gallon IG Pool/Spa -- First time pool owners -- Completed in 2015 Caribbean Blue Pebble Tec Pentair 4000 Series 47 sq. ft. D.E. Filter Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump Pentair SWG Jandy LXi Heater 400,000 BTU S.R. Smith Typhoon Slide Pentair LED 12v Lights Dolphin Nautilus Robotic Cleaner TF-100 Test Kit
    Our Build Thread

15. Back To Top    #15

I used to have ducks visit as well. Floated a few inflatable beach balls in the pool for a few days. They blew around w the wind. Never saw them again.
    16 x 32 In-Ground vinyl, 21,000 Gallons, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward Tiger Shark robotic cleaner, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

16. Back To Top    #16

I have also had ducks for the last few years. What works for me is that I actually will get my leaf net and scope out as many of the baby ducks I can (carefully of course). After that the mother duck is too scared to bring them back to the pool and will go somewhere else.

They are cute but cause a big mess, the baby ducks would also get trapped in the skimmers as well.
    25,000 gallon in ground white plaster- 1 1/2 HP Pentair SuperFlo pump - 60 sqft FNS DE filter (with FiberClear), 1999 Sundance Optima 850 hot tub.
    Manassas Park, VA