Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding 3rd Valve/Actuator to my EasyTouch 8 System

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding 3rd Valve/Actuator to my EasyTouch 8 System

Hi all,
    I've been reviewing this thread as I have a need for a third valve for my system. I purchase and received the IDEC 24v DC SPDT (http://www.alliedelec.com/search/produc ... u=70172638) and base (http://www.alliedelec.com/search/produc ... U=70174848) from Newark. My actuator is a Pentair/Compool model.

I have an EasyTouch 8 system that currently has 4 open relays - my goal is to add the SPDT relay to AUX 7 to control my 3rd actuator.
    41' x 16' x 7' deep rectangular IG FG Blue Hawaiian Olympic Bay model w/ Glacier Blue 'Extreme Quartz' finish / 2 skimmers, 4 returns + 1 dedicated vacuum line / Sta-Rite IntelliPro VS-3050 pump / Sta-Rite System3 Modular Media S7M400 Filter / Pentair EasyTouch w/ ScreenLogic 2 / Pentair IC40 SWG / Pentair UltraTemp 120 Heat Pump / Coverstar Auto-cover / Savi Color Changing LED Pool lights x 4 / Pentair MacgicStream Laminar LED Deck Jets x 4 / 2 x 2 Jacuzzi Jets installed on shallow and deep end steps / SR Smith Typhoon Waterslide / Polaris 9400 Robot. See my build thread HERE

2. Back To Top    #2

Control third valve with Easytouch 8

OK - I spent most of today trying to get my actuator working... I think I'm close, but it is not quite there. I thought that I had followed the wiring diagrams from the previously linked thread perfectly, but here is my result:

When I hit the 'Aux 7' button on my EasyTouch, the actuator turns to its correct set point... however, when I hit the 'Aux 7' button a second time, the actuator fails to turn again (back to its original spot). Additionally, while the 'Aux 7' button is lit on my panel, I am able to manually toggle the actuator to force it to turn in either direction... however, when the Aux 7 button is turned off, there is no response from the actuator.

It appears as if the 'Aux 7' button is merely providing power to the actuator when it is lit (and causing it to rotate in one direction) --- however, when Aux 7 is turned off, it appears to be cutting power to the actuator entirely.

From what I've read, I believe that the BLACK wire for the Pentair/Compool actuator is common with the red and white wires being switched... but I am not 100% on this.

The behavior I am hoping to achieve is that when Aux 7 is turned on, it will rotate the actuator in one direction --- when Aux 7 is turned off, it will rotate the actuator in the opposite direction. Any input/insight would be enormously appreciated!
    41' x 16' x 7' deep rectangular IG FG Blue Hawaiian Olympic Bay model w/ Glacier Blue 'Extreme Quartz' finish / 2 skimmers, 4 returns + 1 dedicated vacuum line / Sta-Rite IntelliPro VS-3050 pump / Sta-Rite System3 Modular Media S7M400 Filter / Pentair EasyTouch w/ ScreenLogic 2 / Pentair IC40 SWG / Pentair UltraTemp 120 Heat Pump / Coverstar Auto-cover / Savi Color Changing LED Pool lights x 4 / Pentair MacgicStream Laminar LED Deck Jets x 4 / 2 x 2 Jacuzzi Jets installed on shallow and deep end steps / SR Smith Typhoon Waterslide / Polaris 9400 Robot. See my build thread HERE

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: I have a need for a third valve for my system

Actuators work off of a three wire connection. One wire is common, one is turn one way, and the last is turn the other way.

From your description you are not supplying power to the "other way" wire when the relay is off. A SPDT relay is the right kind of relay, so it is capable of doing what you want. You either missed installing a wire, or have a bad connection somewhere.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: I have a need for a third valve for my system

Thanks Jason - I played with it for way too long today and couldn't get it to work... what you said makes total sense -- I'll test it out again tomorrow.

Right now I have the 'red' 24V wire from the EZ touch breaker spliced into the black wire of the actuator. I have the red/white wire from the EZ touch breaker spliced into the SPDT. I have the red and white wires from the actuator connected to the SPDT along with the 2 black relay wires.

Just to clarify, I removed the two back relay wires from their original connection in the high-voltage area of the EZ touch and connected them directly to the SPDT --- there should not be any connections of wires in the high-voltage area of the box (except those coming from the low-voltage area to the SPDT... correct?

Also, from a configuration standpoint, I should be setting up the EZ Touch to control this relay under Aux 7 -- not as a feature.. right?

5. Back To Top    #5

Re: Adding 3rd Valve/Actuator to my EasyTouch 8 System

That all sounds correct.

Just make sure the red/white wire from the 24volt supply goes to the middle connection on the relay and the red out white whites go to the two outer terminals of the relay.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Post removed to eliminate confusion for any future reader of this thread..... See my post below for the correct wiring photos and description.

7. Back To Top    #7

I haven't seen that particular arraignment of connections on a relay. It seems possible that you have the "center" terminal on the relay mis-identified. A little playing around with a multi-meter should allow you to confirm which terminal is the "center" one.

8. Back To Top    #8

Finally got it correct --- here is the correct wiring for the IDEC SPDT that I purchased in case others follow a similar path:

Top section ---
    1) RED wire is spliced and connected to BLACK wire from Actuator - NOTE: for The Pentair/Compool CVA24 Actuator, the BLACK wire is COMMON; the RED & WHITE wires are switched.
    2) RED/WHITE wire is spliced - and connected to the SPDT Relay (I used a black in my splice)

Bottom Section -
    1) I removed the two black wires from an open relay (I used Relay #7) from their regular connection and reconnected them to screws 13 & 14 of the SPDT Relay (you'll need to cut of the existing spade connectors from the relay wires as they are to large for the IDEC Relay - I simply stripped off the ends and ran them under the screws)

2) The spliced wire from the RED/WHITE connection in Step 2 above (mine is black) Is connected to Screw #9.

3) The RED & WHITE wires from the Actuator are connected to screws #1 & #5 -- It shouldn't matter which is connected where.

NOTE - I purchased a bag of cheap crimped spade connectors from Radio Shack for the wires connected to screws #1, #5, & #9 - This is not necessary as you could certainly just run bare wire under the screws.

4) I got some double-sided velcro tape to stick the SPDT relay into an open area in the High-Voltage area of the EasyTouch (I have space right above what was 'relay #7).

5) That's it.... the actuator will now turn one way when Aux 7 is activated, and turn the opposite direction when it is deactivated.

9. Back To Top    #9

I found this post and I am trying to accomplish the same thing on the same system. however when I pulled up the relay it says it is a 24vdc relay. How does this work on a 24vac system. also why can I not just wire the 2 actuators together. no more than 3 on the circuit would be running at a single time?

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by jmcdtx
    I found this post and I am trying to accomplish the same thing on the same system. however when I pulled up the relay it says it is a 24vdc relay. How does this work on a 24vac system. also why can I not just wire the 2 actuators together. no more than 3 on the circuit would be running at a single time?
    The actuators in the EasyTouch system are DC --- not AC -- so, you need a 24vdc spdt for the EasyTouch relay.

I'm not clear on your setup, but wiring 2 actuators together would not have helped me at all -- I need to control each of my 3 actuators independently - having them operate together would not benefit my setup.

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

In the Industry

The actuators on the Easytouch and all Pentair automation are the Compool 24 VAC

12. Back To Top    #12

Why did you not just use the VALVE A or VALVE B connections on the EasyTouch motherboard to control your 3rd valve?
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

They are talking about a third user programmed valve in addition to the pool/spa valves. In reality it's a 5th actuator
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by jhav View Post
    The actuators in the EasyTouch system are DC --- not AC -- so, you need a 24vdc spdt for the EasyTouch
    I'm curious--I see in the photo, you are tapping into a power supply marked 24vac. So this seems to contradict.
    Jon -- 28kgal, IG, AquaBright, Attached Spa, ~1990, Quad DE 80, Easytouch8, IntelliFloVS-3050, Intellichlor60, IntelliPh, Dolphin DX6, City Water, K-2006/TF-100, SpeedStir, SampleSizer, San Diego, CA

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

I have mine set up similarly and have yet to have an actuator explode on me yet...

http://www.pentairpool.com/products/...tuator-186.htm

Last line states "Compatible with all 24VAC Control Systems" in the description of the CVA24s.
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page

16. Back To Top    #16

The motors in the CVA24 actuators are actually two AC synchronous motors, stacked one on top of the other one for each direction. The big mylar capacitor in the actuator is for phase shifting to get the activated motor started, depending on which of the two wires (white and black) has the 24 VAC applied in reference to the common (black) wire. Applying DC voltage to this type of motor would not cause it to turn whatsoever and may even overheat it.
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

17. Back To Top    #17

Guys... I think what we have here is the typical "Failure to Communicate"...

I suspect it is just a nomenclature issue. Just to make sure everyone is on the same page...

The EasyTouch relay coils require 24 VDC to turn the relay on/off. The voltage passing through the relay contacts and going to the valve actuators is 24 VAC.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.