Convesion step 8 CC going up?

Jun 14, 2013
Portland, Or
My pool is crystal clear have been following the steps up till step 8. Now I'm confused... when shouls the CC be zero in the morning when you first test? Also, as my fc goes down durinv the day (hot and sunny) my CC is going up. 2 hours after I raised FC to 15 it came back to 9 and Cc was 2.5 is this normal?

Thanks. I thought I was almosr done. I was holding fc over night and my cc was down to 1 before I changed out the sand. I did start getting lazy with adding the bleach ( 2-3) times a day. I will get back on top of it and see how it does. Thanks again

Let me understand.....

1. FC lose overnight is less than 1
2. Water is clear
3. CC is around 2.5
4. You have added CYA to around 30

Are these all correct??

Ok.....just wanted to make 100% sure here. If your CC level is now 2.5 then it shows somewhere there's still Baqua. Keep shocking at a 15FC level. With CYA in the water the chlorine should hold better than before, but may still need topped off. Make sure you are scrubbing a TON. Every crack gets scrubbed. The spots by the steps, returns, skimmers, drains, and lights are all very common hiding spots. If you have an inground pool with light you may even want to remove the light and scrub in there. That garbage is hiding somewhere, but will go away. Ton of vacuuming helps out too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I didn't get out as early as I should have but at 7:15am my FC was 13 and my CC was 3 so I lost 2ppm overnight. My family is getting frustrated with me since I thought we were almost done. It seems worse after I changed the sand in the filter. Also my cya still reads zero after I added as a slurry yesterday. So do I just keep adding bleach? I don't know where else the cc is coming from bu it definately worse since its been hot the last two days. Thanks again.

Everything you describe is normal. After you add CYA things fluctuate a little. This is because the CYA greatly slows down the activity level of the chlorine. You are quite near the end, but it could still be several days.

The CYA test can't measure anything under 20. It can take CYA up to a week to fully dissolve and show up on the test, so it is best to simply wait a week after the CYA addition before testing CYA again. In the meantime you can behave as if the CYA is present, even if the test says otherwise.

So do I just keep doin what I'm doin?
Assuming you are following the article for the Shock Process in Pool School, that is exactly what it tells you to do.

Others will disagree but I don't see a problem with you swimming as long as you keep your FC at the correct level.

I added the amount of CYA the pool calculator told me to add on Saturday the 29th as a slurry. On Sunday it still read 0. I didn't check my CYA this morning but Jason had told me to act like the CYA is present. I'm not sure if that advice holds true in this situation.

So it might be ok to swim with the levels as they are currently? As the sun burns some of the FC down below 10 would it be ok for the teenagers to swim for a short time? Or are the CC's too high at 2.5

Thanks

CYA takes a while to be completely dissolved and then thoroughly mixed in. Even if you added it as a slurry you need to wait a minimum of a few days before re-testing it. I really don't know what level of CC is irritating, but the FC levels you mention are fine. I know we have been in a good deal more FC with no ill effects.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.