What to do now?

Very frustrated....set up new Intex pool three weeks ago....filled with Florida well water...(my only option)...have been working with pool supply company to get water correct and still having problems...pool water is a great color, but rather cloudy... Salt generator cell is needing to be cleaned after EVERY cycle because of deposits...having issues with getting water correct so generator can do its job....have been given advice on many things and I am feeling overwhelmed...here are the numbers from the last water testing.....
FC - 0.17
PH - 7.9
TA- 210
CYA - 15
I also have test strips that show total hardness is over 1000 and Bromine is very low.

Any suggestions are appreciated...as to what to do....

I wouldn't trust the test strips. Although if the generator is scaling, the CH is certainly high.

The cloudiness is because the SWG cannot produce enough FC to get ahead of the algae growth. Part of that is because the CYA level is too low. Since the test strips are at best iffy, how much stabilizer have you added? Any pucks or powders? Have you been draining water?

And the pH is too high.

So....to lower pH (and TA), raise CYA, and raise FC, I would suggest you forget it's a salt pool. You can treat the water with acid, stabilizer, or bleach, or try using dichlor powder - frequently labelled "shock" to deal with it, at least initially.

Two pounds would be a good purchase. Be sure it is diclor, and not Calcium Hypochlorite. Also get some liquid bleach or pool shock. Add one pound initially and in a couple hours, recheck FC and use http://www.poolcalculator.com/ to see how much more to add. When the dichlor is gone, switch to liquid bleach. From there on out, it's the same as The Shock Process. Or just follow the directions there from the outset and skip the dichlor and head straight to bleach.

Richard320 said:
I wouldn't trust the test strips. Although if the generator is scaling, the CH is certainly high.

The cloudiness is because the SWG cannot produce enough FC to get ahead of the algae growth. Part of that is because the CYA level is too low. Since the test strips are at best iffy, how much stabilizer have you added? Any pucks or powders? Have you been draining water?

And the pH is too high.

So....to lower pH (and TA), raise CYA, and raise FC, I would suggest you forget it's a salt pool. You can treat the water with acid, stabilizer, or bleach, or try using dichlor powder - frequently labelled "shock" to deal with it, at least initially.

Two pounds would be a good purchase. Be sure it is diclor, and not Calcium Hypochlorite. Also get some liquid bleach or pool shock. Add one pound initially and in a couple hours, recheck FC and use http://www.poolcalculator.com/ to see how much more to add. When the dichlor is gone, switch to liquid bleach. From there on out, it's the same as The Shock Process. Or just follow the directions there from the outset and skip the dichlor and head straight to bleach.

Richard, I am sorry I did not provide all information...originally when filled with well water, the pool had a rather greenish tint to it...I have used 4 lbs of "shock" over the past 3 weeks and the water color is now great. I have been using liquid sulfuric acid over the past week a little each night and have used about 3/4 of a gallon...the water is still VERY cloudy, can barely see the bottom.... if I am correct, you would be advising me to used liquid chlorine (as if it isn't a salt pool) and stabilizer and continue with the acid until the PH, TA and hardness are at the proper levels? I have ordered a test kit, but until it arrives, I have the pool supply store test water every day and use the strips on the weekends when they are closed....I have added about 2 lbs. of stabilizer and have drained no water. should I not run the salt generator at all until all other levels are acceptable?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.