Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: booster pump timer will not keep time

1. Back To Top    #1

booster pump timer will not keep time

Thanks for the help so far. I have had many questions answered by sifting through posts.
    I have two Intermatic 104 timers. One for the filter pump, one for the polaris booster. I want the pool to run 8am-8pm and the polaris to run 11am-1pm. I have line1 going to screw 1 on the filter pump timer, then going to screw 1 on the booster pump timer. Line2 going to screw 3 on the filter timer, then running to screw 3 on the booster pump timer. Screws 2 and 4 go to the filter and booster pump. Both timers are relatively new and seem to be keeping time correctly. The booster timer kept the correct time for a few weeks, then all of a sudden did not and burned out the seals on the booster pump. Is this wired correctly? Is there a way to prevent the booster pump from coming on when the filter pump is not on? Thanks for the thoughts

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: booster pump timer will not keep time

Welcome to TFP!!!

The way you have it wired sounds correct to me ... but I do not understand why one would have lost time and then resulted in the motor problems.

One way to have a safe guard would be to supply one leg of the power to the booster timer from the load side of the filter timer.
    I think the clock runs off screw 3. So run LINE2 to screw 3 in the filter time and to screw 3 in the booster timer. Then run LINE1 only to screw 1 in the filter timer. Then run a wire from screw 2 in the filter timer to the screw 1 in the booster timer. Leave the filter and booster hooked up to screws 2 and 4 in their respective timers.

I "think" that the booster timer will run no problem off the screw 3 line power. And then the booster will only have both legs of power fed when the filter pump is actually on.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!